• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Accidental Laughing Gull in Italy? (1 Viewer)

pipaluk

Hallo. Yesterday I saw this gull on the coast in NW of Liguria/Italy. I wasn't able to watch it for a long time but I succeed to take a photo by "bino-scoping". It is just one shot and a terrible one, but I think it could be a "laughing gull" (Larus atricilla), accidental in Italy. Could you give me some help? I am sorry for the poor quality of the pic. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• mist2.jpg
    mist2.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 249
pipaluk said:
Hallo. Yesterday I saw this gull on the coast in NW of Liguria/Italy. I wasn't able to watch it for a long time but I succeed to take a photo by "bino-scoping". It is just one shot and a terrible one, but I think it could be a "laughing gull" (Larus atricilla), accidental in Italy. Could you give me some help? I am sorry for the poor quality of the pic. Thank you in advance.
Hi Pipaluk

Your bird looks spot on for a Laughing Gull to me!
Nice one!

You sure are lucky! Too bad Liguria is on the far side of Italy from Slovenia ...
It's obviously a different bird than the first for Italy which had a ring. The C.O.I. (Italian RC) is waiting for your description :t:

pipaluk said:

There was a Laughing Gull on the jetty at San Remo in Liguria (NW Italy) in the winter of 2003/2004. It returned in 2004/2005 bearing a German ring!!. I don't know if this is the same bird. I wasn't aware it had returned this winter... perhaps it is a short distance away and has been missed.; more likely I haven't been paying attention. I can't see if it's ringed in the photo. Congratulations. I'm sure the Italian gull expert Menotti Passarella will be in touch with you about this.

pipaluk said:

I think it is a laughing gull, maybe the same of Sanremo (I photographed it in november 2004). "Mine" had a metallic german ring on a leg. Could you tell me where you saw it. I am very interested in it.
If you like you can see some photograph of the laughing gull we saw in Sanremo at the following address http://liguriabirding.net/easystore/SchedeVedi.asp?IDCatSchede=42
MAny thanks. Mauro

http://www.ebnitalia.it/QB/QB013/sghignazzante.htm

The German name of the species is Aztekenmöwe (translates as Aztec Gull). This special bird was given the German mans name "Atze", due to the similarity to the species name. (actually I don´t know if it really is a he)

He appeared for some yearsduring breeding time , also last year , in the big colony of Blackheaded gulls at the Nature reserve "Zwillbrocker Venn" at the German border to the Netherlands.

I tried to see "Atze" there last year, but without luck...

So congregulations to your sighting!!--- allthough it may not be "Atze", I think last year quite a lot of laughing Gulls got blown to Europe...

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back