• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should Nikon drop SE Price ? (1 Viewer)

gautamsrivastav

Why Nikon Should drop SE Price.

Much has been written in this forum about the recent move by Nikon to discontinue the E2 line. The discontinuance has brought mixed blessings. For those of us with limited budgets and an insatiable desire to improve our view it is a blessing and an opportunity to acquire a glass that is truly exemplary. For us as a community however, it is a dissapointment to know that these shall not be available to others (or us) in the future. We have been unable to fully understand why Nikon made this move. But, there may be a strategy here and I for one am optimistic that there is.
The E2 demise leaves one product on the market that, above all, deserves its coronation - the Icon from Nikon - SE 8x32. As a recent thread by Henry (our benefactor) pointed out, the SE shares a significant number of its components witht the E2. This leads me to believe that Nikon may move the SE pricing down to take up the void resulting from the absence of E2s and establish a position on the middle of the market that would cause irresistable polar repulsion ie people from both the higher price and lower price segment d moving to the SE. Cumulatively these will increase demand, make the product line economically viable and delight us birders.

What should their new price be to have this desired effect ? $400 in my view would be just fine .

Last edited:
Gregory Sargean said:
I just bought a pair for $499 and it seemed like a reasonable price!
Where from Greg ? I just paid more for mine.It was hard to get anyone below the 599 advertised price and I thought I did well by getting a few dollars off it !!!!

Last edited:
A price reduction in the UK would be nice.
Just looking at current U.S. dollar prices you guys are quoting.

Best UK price at Warehouse Express = £439 converted to U.S. dollars = $771.08 less postage.

Don Hoey said:
A price reduction in the UK would be nice.
Just looking at current U.S. dollar prices you guys are quoting.

Best UK price at Warehouse Express = £439 converted to U.S. dollars = $771.08 less postage.

Remember that price quoted in the US is without any VAT so the equivalent UK price is actually 17.5 % less than the $771 which equals about $636. Still more than in US but not quite so dramatic.
Out of state purchases and most internet purchases again if out of state have no sales tax added.

Take a look at:
http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/product.php?group=15&subgroup=155&product=7381
http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/product.php?group=15&subgroup=155&product=7311

There are no Key Features or Technical Specifications listed for the SE 8X32 or 10X42 models and it's been that way for a very long time.

Nikon instituted a No-Fault warranty that they honor. If the bin breaks, for any reason, they fix it for $10 plus shipping leaving us to wonder how many abused porros have been returned because of this warranty and what it costs Nikon to repair them. I'll bet the E2 was discontinued because it was no longer profitable and I fear the SE will follow suit. I've seen exactly four new SE 8X32's on store shelves (3 stores), a few refurbished SE's behind counters, and only two E2's. I've seen a total of three SE 8X32's in the field not counting mine or my wife's, a single 10X42 and only one E2 8X30.

I’ve never seen a Nikon advertisement that even mentioned the SE line. Optics reviewers act as if the bins were never manufactured, in spite of the fact that numerous people have critically compared the SE line to every other make and model. Some swear it beats them all. Most important, Nikon doesn’t feel it necessary to list the specifications for the 8X32 and 10X42 on their dramatically improved http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/home.html website.

Last, but not least, if it wasn’t for Birdforum I’ll bet the demand for the SE would have completely evaporated. At a minimum, Nikon should thank BF for the free marketing!

If you still can’t see the picture, you’re behaving like a foggy porro.

John

John Traynor said:
Take a look at:

There are no Key Features or Technical Specifications listed for the SE 8X32 or 10X42 models and it's been that way for a very long time.

Nikon instituted a No-Fault warranty that they honor. If the bin breaks, for any reason, they fix it for $10 plus shipping leaving us to wonder how many abused porros have been returned because of this warranty and what it costs Nikon to repair them. I'll bet the E2 was discontinued because it was no longer profitable and I fear the SE will follow suit. I've seen exactly four new SE 8X32's on store shelves (3 stores), a few refurbished SE's behind counters, and only two E2's. I've seen a total of three SE 8X32's in the field not counting mine or my wife's, a single 10X42 and only one E2 8X30.

I’ve never seen a Nikon advertisement that even mentioned the SE line. Optics reviewers act as if the bins were never manufactured, in spite of the fact that numerous people have critically compared the SE line to every other make and model. Some swear it beats them all. Most important, Nikon doesn’t feel it necessary to list the specifications for the 8X32 and 10X42 on their dramatically improved http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/home.html website.

Last, but not least, if it wasn’t for Birdforum I’ll bet the demand for the SE would have completely evaporated. At a minimum, Nikon should thank BF for the free marketing!

John

John, you sound very angry. Is it something I said ?

John Traynor said:

If it weren't for BF, I wouldn't even know there was a Nikon worth even checking out. Their value line bins leave a LOT to be desired.

gautamsrivastav said:
John, you sound very angry. Is it something I said ?

Huh? I was merely commenting on Nikon's lack of marketing interest in their SE line. Given recent price increases by the big boys, they should raise the price to $899 for an SE 8X32 and market it as the "inexpensive" alternative to the discriminating birder who marches to a different drummer.

Happy birding...

John Traynor said:
Take a look at:

John
I've said it before and I'll repeat it. I'm not proud. I have refurbished 10 x 35 E's that I use along with my 8 x 30 E2's. Now, If you will tell me where you saw the refurbished SE's for sale, I'll get them too! With proper care, they can last for a couple of generations! The big problem with any product that approaches perfection in it's function is that nobody gets rid of it. I've been using a Parker 51 Fountain Pen for about 40 years now and I don't think it will ever wear out. Parker stopped making them about the time I bought it. The same thing has happened to the Nikon E's and SE's. You can't make a roof prism better than a porro prism, all things being equal; but you sure can make the roof prism prettier, as Swarovski has proved. There is more profit in packaging than in optics. You can sell the former alot easier than the latter!

By the way, I'm serious about buying the refurbished SE's.

Bob

Last edited:
Following John's post I just checked Nikon Europe site, and the SE's are not listed at all.

I would have to agree that this forum has done more to promote them than Nikon. In fact it was through posts this forum that I determined that I HAD to include them on my short list when considering a purchase.
REALLY GLAD I DID. A big thank you to BirdForum.
Had a job finding a store that stocked them and even then got a discount as they were clearing their stock ( last pair ). All their NEW stock, which was quite considerable and covering the full price range, were roofs. Fashion over OPTICAL QUALITY ????

I have since discovered a serious birding optics store - Cley Spy in Norfolk, and they still stock them.

Let us hope that any lower prices seen are NOT a reflection that these finest of bins is being discontinued.

Don Hoey said:
Following John's post I just checked Nikon Europe site, and the SE's are not listed at all.

I would have to agree that this forum has done more to promote them than Nikon. In fact it was through posts this forum that I determined that I HAD to include them on my short list when considering a purchase.
REALLY GLAD I DID. A big thank you to BirdForum.
Had a job finding a store that stocked them and even then got a discount as they were clearing their stock ( last pair ). All their NEW stock, which was quite considerable and covering the full price range, were roofs. Fashion over OPTICAL QUALITY ????

I have since discovered a serious birding optics store - Cley Spy in Norfolk, and they still stock them.

Let us hope that any lower prices seen are NOT a reflection that these finest of bins is being discontinued.

Hi Don
I believe Ace Cameras in Bath Focus Optics in Corley near Coventry and Warehouse Express in Norwich still stock the SE's and E11's
All three retailers above have interesting websites
Its certainly true though that these models are not as widely advertised/promoted as high end roof types in the UK

Regards
Rich

ceasar said:
I've said it before and I'll repeat it. I'm not proud. I have refurbished 10 x 35 E's that I use along with my 8 x 30 E2's. Now, If you will tell me where you saw the refurbished SE's for sale, I'll get them too! With proper care, they can last for a couple of generations! The big problem with any product that approaches perfection in it's function is that nobody gets rid of it. I've been using a Parker 51 Fountain Pen for about 40 years now and I don't think it will ever wear out. Parker stopped making them about the time I bought it. The same thing has happened to the Nikon E's and SE's. You can't make a roof prism better than a porro prism, all things being equal; but you sure can make the roof prism prettier, as Swarovski has proved. There is more profit in packaging than in optics. You can sell the former alot easier than the latter!

By the way, I'm serious about buying the refurbished SE's.

Bob
Bob, www.casanovasadventures.com has some refurbished E2s and did have some refurbished SE 10x35 at $599. The phone number is 262-783 6456. He is a Nikon authorised dealer. Speak to Jack Casanova - I found him good to talk to and square in his dealings.

Gregory Sargean said:
I just bought a pair for $499 and it seemed like a reasonable price!
I found them at a local camera store, they were the only pair and were on clearance. Although dusty from sitting on the shelf they are new and have the complete warranty etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back