• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need suggestions on feeding wild bees. (1 Viewer)

PumaMan

United States
I want to feed the wild bees. (Well, I don't know for sure if they are wild -- some may come from hives I am not aware of.) But it doesn't matter -- I want to feed them.

I plan to get a shallow red pan or bowl and hang it up in a shady spot -- to keep the ants out. I will use 1:1 sugar-water solution as a "syrup". I plan to only put about a quarter-to-half inch in bottom of pan to keep them from drowning. I plan to change it every other day so it doesn't go bad -- or more often if the bees eat a lot.

Any other suggestions -- or corrections?

Thanks. I'm gonna try the sugar-water 1:1 mixture first. But even if the sugar-water is a hit, I will still try the grape jelly -- just to see. :t:

Well, I changed my mind and tried the grape jelly first. It attracted a fair amount of bees but some were stuck to it and couldn't fly away. I assisted the stuck ones by prying them loose with a stick and placing them in a branch of a nearby tree. Next I tried the sugar water syrup (1:1 mixture) with little wooden boards on the bottom of the bowl (like a raft) and a little wooden ramp so they could climb out (saw that on the internet). This afternoon there was a MASS of bees in the bottom of the shallow red bowl. Success! And this "bee feeder" is placed only about 10 feet (3 meters) from a hummingbird feeder. The bees have completely abandoned the HB feeder (which has a 4:1 water-sugar mixture) for the new "bee feeder". Amazing little creatures. Now, I wonder where the hives are.

Question: Will bees from different hives feed/forage in the same site? Or are all these bees I see from one hive?

Last edited:
Well, I've created a monster!!

Bees, hundreds of them, drinking 1:1 sugar-water syrup at the rate of one cup per hour (24 ml/hour). I bought what I thought was an adequate sized bowl, approx 6 in in diameter (15 cm). But now I will buy a larger bowl.

What's interesting is that I can move their hanging bowl, with all the bees still inside of it, without getting stung. I do it REAL SLOW.

Question: Will bees from different hives feed/forage in the same site? Or are all these bees I see from one hive? I read where bees have traveled up to 6 miles (~10 km) to forage and will readily do 1-2 miles.

Last edited:
Wild Bees

Well, I've created a monster!!

Bees, hundreds of them, drinking 1:1 sugar-water syrup at the rate of one cup per hour (24 ml/hour). I bought what I thought was an adequate sized bowl, approx 6 in in diameter (15 cm). But now I will buy a larger bowl.

What's interesting is that I can move their hanging bowl, with all the bees still inside of it, without getting stung. I do it REAL SLOW.

Question: Will bees from different hives feed/forage in the same site? Or are all these bees I see from one hive? I read where bees have traveled up to 6 miles (~10 km) to forage and will readily do 1-2 miles.

To answer yer question, I can,t see why your bee,s can,nt be from
More than one hive, as you mentioned they do disperse quite well.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back