• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Difficulty Teaching a Fledgling to Feed by Itself, Suggestions Needed (1 Viewer)

pterry97

Hi all,

About 3 days ago a member of the public came to the rescue and handed in a house sparrow fledgling. It is in perfect condition and genuinely should not have been taken or disturbed, despite the public's best intentions. As a fosterer I have ended up with the bird to wean what little left is needed so it can be released.

As you can imagine this baby bird is rearing to go. They are fully flighted, fully wild, and very aware that they are a sparrow and that humans are not their friends. But I'd say they were at the stage where they would naturally be flying following their parents and still getting fed by them for the next couple of weeks, watching where their parents feed and learning how to do so themselves.

Here's where my problem lays. It is very easy to teach a bird that is more used to your presence how to self feed, because you can mimic pecking into the food for the baby bird to follow. But this guy is literally 100% wild and free. I'd very much like to release them ASAP but cannot until I have proof that they can self forage. And as of the last 3 days I've had them I've been force feeding them the entire time. Unpleasant for everyone involved, but the only way to keep them strong and fit for release. I can't sit back and mimic pecking the plate like with other rescues because they go into a panicked frenzy every time I enter the room. Not even trying to give feed on tongs works because they just panic fly everywhere, the only way we've gotten food into them is to restrain them and then present tong feeds. As such, I'm struggling to think of ways to teach this very ready to go bird how to take their own chances at free pecking. They have plenty to choose from, from seeds to live insects in shallow tubs, but no success as of yet. They're near the pigeon enclosure who are always noisily chuntering away eating from their bowl, so there is at least some example going on most of the day within view of the sparrow, but I don't have any other babies old enough to present example of eating by themselves for them to mimic.

Suggestions? There was no need to bring this poor fledgling in sadly but the public often aren't aware of this, they would have been just fine following their parents to feed but as we were given them without much other choice it's just something we have to deal with ourselves.

Hi pterry and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Can you put the sparrow in with the Pigeons? They won't harm him and the species do hang around in the same areas. He might follow their lead on pecking from the ground.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi pterry and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Can you put the sparrow in with the Pigeons? They won't harm him and the species do hang around in the same areas. He might follow their lead on pecking from the ground.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately my pigeons are currently nesting (on dud eggs) and are very aggressive, even to me. They free fly the room while the birds I'm rearing are in incubators and cages, and when I take the young out to feed my male gets very grumbly about seeing the other birds. He is big for a pigeon, much too big to be putting with the sparrow, and one wing flap could do extensive damage. That, and the pigeons are on a different seed diet than the sparrow and the pigeon's cage is far too wide that the sparrow could very easily just fly out of it. He's within perfect viewing range to see the pigeons going ham in their bowl so there is little other benefit to trying to push them in together.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back