• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redwings Anyone? (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
First thing this morning I heard a couple of probable Redwings calling - without catching a glimpse.

Then later on patch I had, amongst loads of viz mig, a single Redwing making haste away from a Hobby.

Anyone else seen/heard any this autumn?

When the Redwings leave in the Spring, do they head north as far as Iceland. I just wondered as Edward sees them everyday. One more question, do they breed in Iceland.
Thanks.

When the Redwings leave in the Spring, do they head north as far as Iceland. I just wondered as Edward sees them everyday. One more question, do they breed in Iceland.
Thanks.

Most of our birds nest in Scandinavia but they also nest in Scotland every year (up to 16 pairs in 2007). I'm sure they breed in much greater numbers in Iceland. Edward will no doubt be able to give us the breeding totals/estimates for Iceland.

CB

Thanks.

Hi Shirley

Yes, Redwings breed in Iceland, it is our common thrush, with 100,000-300,000 pairs. The vast majority migrate south in winter, most leaving by October and returning in April, but a couple of thousand overwinter here in urban areas. They also breed in small numbers in SW Greenland and last year I saw them breeding in East Greenland, the first time they have been recording nesting there.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back