• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brands w/ similar feature as Bushnell InstaFocus? (1 Viewer)

YellowBudgie

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem with weakness with my hands/fingers. The only binoculars I have been able to operate have been the Bushnell 7 x 35mm w/ InstaFocus. The InstaFocus on the newer model Bushnells allow me to operate the focus easily. I have trouble turning a focus wheel.

I have a older model Bushnell (7-15 x 35) which also has the InstaFocus option but the lever doesn't have the upward edges for my fingers to press down on so this model is hard to use for me.

I like the Bushnell 7 x 35's but would like to get some binoculars with better optics. I was thinking of the 10 x 50's with the instafocus. I would think the 50mm objective lens would bring in more light for a brighter and possibly a better image.

Would there be any other brands out there that have this type of focus lever? or an alternative to a focus wheel?

Thanks,

I have an old pair of Bushnell Ensign Instafocus 10x50 binoculars with the lever focus. I can see how it would be great if you have problems focusing with a knob.

I don't know of any others besides Bushnell with this feature. But I would say that between the Bushnell Falcon 7x35 and 10x50 I would definitely recommend the 7x35. For one thing, in an inexpensive binocular like this the overall image quality will be better in a 7x than a 10x -- some people recommend 7x or 8x for this reason unless you're spending about $500 or more. In this particular case, the field of view, eye relief, and close focus distance are better for the 7x -- the 10x can't focus on anything closer than 25 ft, and from my experience with my 10x pair I can tell you this is very annoying. (And finally many people, myself included, find 10x too hard to hold still enough to avoid the image bouncing around, but that has nothing to do with instafocus binoculars.)

have a look around on the net for [fixed focus] binoculars meeting your requirements. one or two 7x35s about, might find just the pair for you.

Last edited:
I have an old pair of Bushnell Ensign Instafocus 10x50 binoculars with the lever focus. I can see how it would be great if you have problems focusing with a knob.

I don't know of any others besides Bushnell with this feature. But I would say that between the Bushnell Falcon 7x35 and 10x50 I would definitely recommend the 7x35. For one thing, in an inexpensive binocular like this the overall image quality will be better in a 7x than a 10x -- some people recommend 7x or 8x for this reason unless you're spending about $500 or more. In this particular case, the field of view, eye relief, and close focus distance are better for the 7x -- the 10x can't focus on anything closer than 25 ft, and from my experience with my 10x pair I can tell you this is very annoying. (And finally many people, myself included, find 10x too hard to hold still enough to avoid the image bouncing around, but that has nothing to do with instafocus binoculars.)

Maybe I can rig something up on the instafocus so the leaver can be pressed down on each side more easily on the 7-15 x 35's.

I do have a nice scope and can manage that well. Maybe one day I can get a lower end small scope and leave a tri-pod connected to it and leave it in the trunk like I do the binocs.

See ya!

Avoid fixed focus

I bought my wife a pair of (Bushnell ?) fixed focus binos last year, before we did a trip to South Africa. She has had a stroke and so can hardly use her left hand.

We found that the binos were okay for watching larger targets, like lions and hippos, but not very satisfactory at all for watching birds. We didn't even bother bringing them home at the end of our trip!

She has a pair of 7 X 35 Bushnell Insta-focus binos and she finds these work well for birdwatching.

Jeff

Rather than permanent focus, get some bright 7x binoculars. Leave them on an intermediate focus setting. You should be able to see something without having to focus all the time. But you still have the option to focus.

Leave the 10x alone.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back