• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

kingfisher photography (1 Viewer)

kieran

Hi I am a young photographer based nr Lymington Hampshire and would like to photograph a kingfisher close up does anyone know of any hides in this area?

I have heard Wimbourne has somewhere

many thanks

Kieran

Hi Kieran, may I suggest you walk a small river with plenty of small fish in it preferably go with an adult or friend. wear camo and sit down quite where there are over hanging branches and wait. If there are Kingfishes present on that stretch you will hear then see one fly by or pitch up near you. If nothing comes by find another stretch. It maybe worth asking a course or game fisherman where they have seen Kingfishers and go and see for yourself. You need patience and a bit of luck, but you will eventually get the shot you need. Good luck

The best place I can think of in the area to view Kingfishers from a hide would be Blashford Lakes, but not at this time of year.

For now you would be better off taking to the sea wall between Lymington and Keyhaven, Kingfishers can turn up anywhere along there. Normandy Lagoon is a regular place to see them, also any of the sluice outfalls nearer to Moses Dock when the tide is out. Any of the fences around the many lagoons are used by Kingfishers and also the sea wall at Keyhaven harbour and the overhead wires behind the harbour.

It's impossible to predict where they'll be on any given day.

There are kingfishers in the Lymington estuary, just past the open air pool there are ditches and the other side of the next marina just around that corner where I have seen Kingfishers quite close. At this time of year there should be more around than in summer.

kingfisher sightings

caught a picture at lymington sea wall:king:am really pleased with it but unfortunately have been going back to the same place again and again and i think it's gone.i don't think it stayed thier for very long and has probably gone back to a river further inland.I really want another one as they are such amazing birds.so was wondering if anyone could tell me where they go in the summer near the new forest?

many thanks
Kieran

Attachments

• kingfisher.jpg
    kingfisher.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 154
This king fisher looks just like that of the one I took dozens of photographs while in Japan. Very colorful bright looking bird.

Try Lower test marshes in Totton,the warden has put up a dead branch.(hide by the demolished pub).

Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back