• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My first bird sighting! (1 Viewer)

jterry85

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to share my great excitement with you about the first bird I've seen since I started really bird watching that wasn't a Magpie or Sparrow or Feral Pigeon. Yes I know it's a common bird but it's one that I haven't ever seen and I was very excited about it. I saw two Wood Pigeons out foraging in the grass yesterday and was even able to get a picture of them! I have never seen Wood Pigeons before and was amazed at how large these were in comparison to the normal feral pigeons and dove I've seen. I watched them forage in the grass for several minutes before I had to be on my way but when I looked up the identification it said it was currently breeding season for this species and I'm thinking they might be a breeding pair? Anyways, just wanted to share my excitement!

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_5243.jpg
    IMG_5243.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 81
very cool Joe ! ... nice pic. I enjoy watching the common birds just as much. I love pigeons and doves. I feed mourning doves with a ground feeder in front of my apartment. They are adorable.
happy birding :)

Hi Joe

You're really heading into an exciting period when, for the first year, everything you see is new. Make the most of it and enjoy, as it doesn't happen again!

Thanks for sharing your excitement with us - I think we can all relate to it.

D

I agree wholeheartedly Delia. :t:

Good work Joe. It certainly is surprising how big and tubby they are, but they're pretty timid birds too - I saw a House Sparrow go for one and see it off last year on a neighbour's roof! They're rather cool to see in large numbers, some of the farmland near where I live often has large flocks and seeing them take to the air and fly over your head is always quite a sight to see.

Thanks everyone! I've definitely got the itch now and am already planning on going out to a local spot tomorrow! Hopefully I'll have some more to report and some pictures to show!

Congrats. I remember the first time I saw a Parasitic Jaeger and thinking that this was the first really cool, unusual for our area bird that I'd ever seen. In my mind that was when I became a birder.

Hi Joe,
Uh-oh, I think you may have gotten the birding virus!;) I got my lifer Wood Pigeon in Drensteinfurt, Germany and was as thrilled as you are now. They are big!
Sue

... I looked up the identification it said it was currently breeding season for this species and I'm thinking they might be a breeding pair? ...

They could well be. The wood pigeons in my garden are very busy getting loved up and taking care of each other. There is a photo in my Gallery of them preeding each other. Hope you have many more happy experiences watching birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back