• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 Lifers Today!! (1 Viewer)

hannibalscannibal

United States
hey all! i got to add not one but two species to my life list today and wanted to share : )

first bird i saw on my walk today was an Indigo Bunting, which i've never seen before!!! i didn't get a pic, but i'm stoked

second was even more exciting— i finally got a look at an American Bittern, and i even got some (admittedly low res) pictures of it
i've been just narrowly missing Bitterns for a while now so this is a super exciting one for me
life list is now at 232 species!!

i included two pics of the Bittern and a bonus pic of a Baltimore Oriole, the Oriole isn't a lifer but i think he looks pretty : )IMG_4562.jpegIMG_4564.jpegIMG_4557.jpeg

Watch out, it's all down hill from here :) At some point you'll be negotiating and angling to miss Christmas so you can go to the Philippines or Uganda because there are 250 lifers there for you :ROFLMAO:

Watch out, it's all down hill from here :) At some point you'll be negotiating and angling to miss Christmas so you can go to the Philippines or Uganda because there are 250 lifers there for you :ROFLMAO:
By the way, from a purely philosophical perspective, has anyone come up with an idea of collecting habitats, not bird species when abroad (for example, 'I've birded blah blah blah for some time and seen what was to be seen' instead of 'I've seen species x, y and z somewhere in the world')? This would help (1) inoculate against disappointment and alleviate some pressure since birds might be dipped, but habitats can't, (2) focus more on the aspect of discovering, including the fact that some species are easier to observe in some places than in others, (3) avoid missing interesting habitats just because there are no new lifers to be seen there, and (4) spend more time casually birding and less time on the move between successive hotspots for a more immersive experience.

Last edited:
By the way, from a purely philosophical perspective, has anyone come up with an idea of collecting habitats, not bird species when abroad (for example, 'I've birded blah blah blah for some time and seen what was to be seen' instead of 'I've seen species x, y and z somewhere in the world')? This would help (1) inoculate against disappointment and alleviate some pressure since birds might be dipped, but habitats can't, (2) focus more on the aspect of discovering, including the fact that some species are easier to observe in some places than in others, (3) avoid missing interesting habitats just because there are no new lifers to be seen there, and (4) spend more time casually birding and less time on the move between successive hotspots for a more immersive experience.
That's an interesting point of view. I might try, but birds are more satisfying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back