• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quality night 14 June 2004 (2 Viewers)

Brian Stone

A Stone chatting
Had trouble tearing myself away from the trap to go to bed last night. Among the many excellent species were these:
The Fan-foot
Leopard Moth
Maple Prominent
Blue-bordered Carpet

Also have a Kitten to ID and other firsts like Gold Triangle, Barred Yellow, Maiden's Blush and Treble Brown-spot as well as nice repeats like Small Clouded Brindle and Beautiful Hook-tip.

Attachments

• leopard_14jun_04_800a.jpg
    leopard_14jun_04_800a.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 146
  • maple_prom_14jun_04_800a.jpg
    maple_prom_14jun_04_800a.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 148
  • blue_b_carpet_14jun_04_800.jpg
    blue_b_carpet_14jun_04_800.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 130
  • fan-foot_14jun_04_800.jpg
    fan-foot_14jun_04_800.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 138
brianhstone said:
Had trouble tearing myself away from the trap to go to bed last night. Among the many excellent species were these:
The Fan-foot
Leopard Moth
Maple Prominent
Blue-bordered Carpet

Also have a Kitten to ID and other firsts like Gold Triangle, Barred Yellow, Maiden's Blush and Treble Brown-spot as well as nice repeats like Small Clouded Brindle and Beautiful Hook-tip.

Beautiful pics again Brian and a nice range of goodies.

I was out until late and had forgotten to put my trap out but half an hour got me 25 species, including 2 Elephant Hawk (my first this year) several 'plusia's
minors, carpets, a variety of other assorted Noctuids and swifts. the best looker of the evening was a perfect Herald Moth, amazing considering it probably emerged last Autumn. Freshly emerges specimens are not usually seen around here until late August.

Harry

harry eales said:
..the best looker of the evening was a perfect Herald Moth, amazing considering it probably emerged last Autumn. Freshly emerges specimens are not usually seen around here until late August.

Harry,

Interesting you say that. Here in Hampshire, the peak month for records of the Herald is in July, although it can be found throughout the year (never recorded in December though). Just shows the difference 'tween northern and southern climes.

Great quartet there with some interesting pluamges especially the Leopard. The Fan-foot has an odd curved "snout" (if that is what it is).

MikeWall said:
Harry,

Interesting you say that. Here in Hampshire, the peak month for records of the Herald is in July, although it can be found throughout the year (never recorded in December though). Just shows the difference 'tween northern and southern climes.
Errr..our peak month is June.

CJW said:
Errr..our peak month is June.

:) Alright, shows the difference west to east too! Milder winters???

The basic pattern is trickle in Jan, Feb, small peak Mar,Apr, May, decline in June, then peak emergence in July decreasing in Aug then tailing off to the end of the year.

MikeWall said:
Harry,

Up here in Northumberland and Durham insect appearances are nearly always much later than down south. Often by 4 weeks or more. One of the few exceptions is the December Moth which comes out in October or early November.

Harry

Andrew said:
Great quartet there with some interesting pluamges especially the Leopard. The Fan-foot has an odd curved "snout" (if that is what it is).
I believe the 'snout' are 'palps' whatever they are. Have a look at The Snout if you want to see a moth with an (apparently) large bonce. ;)

Attachments

• snout.jpg
    snout.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 114
Surreybirder said:
I believe the 'snout' are 'palps' whatever they are. Have a look at The Snout if you want to see a moth with an (apparently) large bonce. ;)

Hi Ken,
I'm glad to see your getting used to all the technical terms used in entomology
e.g. large bonce. lol

Harry

touché

harry eales said:
Hi Ken,
I'm glad to see your getting used to all the technical terms used in entomology
e.g. large bonce. lol

Harry

I thought that might produce a reaction ;)
Ok, I'll stop being lazy: palp: a segmented leg-like structure arising on the maxilla or labium. Palps have a sensory function and play a major role in tasting food.

My cranial cavity is not quite as empty as you think!

Last edited:
Surreybirder said:
I thought that might produce a reaction ;)
Ok, I'll stop being lazy: palp: a segmented leg-like structure arising on the maxilla or labium. Palps have a sensory function and play a major role in tasting food.

My cranial cavity is not quite as empty as you think!

Would I think that!!! I ask you, however, it's nice to know your reading the words as well as looking at the pretty pictures. lol

Harry

Some more from same night:
Treble Brown-spot
Beautiful Hook-tip
Sallow Kitten (I think)
Barred Yellow
Barred Straw

Attachments

• treble_brown-spot_14jun_04_800.jpg
    treble_brown-spot_14jun_04_800.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 142
  • beautiful_hook-tip_14jun_04_800.jpg
    beautiful_hook-tip_14jun_04_800.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 131
  • kitten_14jun_04_800a.jpg
    kitten_14jun_04_800a.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 132
  • barred_yelllow_14jun_04_800.jpg
    barred_yelllow_14jun_04_800.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 133
  • barred_straw_13jun_04_800.jpg
    barred_straw_13jun_04_800.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 115
Naive question maybe, but while our moth trap is full of egg boxes, your pictures are nicely posed moths on leaves. Do you shove your moths onto leaves for a photo session in the morning, or do you use leaves in the trap, or have you done some detailed fake leafery, etc?

Anything I fancy photographing (for ID or because its new to me - and thats most of them at the moment ;)) I stick in a pot and usually put them in the fridge (especially if they are active as this slows them down a bit). I then move the moth onto a natural-looking background in a mini studio setting for the photo provided they cooperate. Those that don't (the geometers are a lively bunch) end up getting photographed in the pot. I have a Maiden's Blush and Gold Triangle that won't even allow that at the moment.

My traps are full of eggboxes.

brianhstone said:
My traps are full of eggboxes.

Phew. Thought I was living in the stone age. Sounds as though you've moved forward into the world of Kate Moth though, with your mini studio. 3:)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back