• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which hawk, Austin Texas (1 Viewer)

sheld

We saw this hawk across the pond a couple of evenings ago in Austin Texas. Could someone id it? Is it a red-shouldered hawk?
- Sheldon

Attachments

• IMGP9703.jpg
    IMGP9703.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 103
Red-shouldered Hawk (immature). The tail is too short for an Accipiter and lacks the distinct barring. Also the bulky build, large head and large bill point more towards Buteo than Accipter. Young accipiters have yellow eyes as well. The checkered secondaries are good for Red-shouldered Hawk.

Andy

Sheld, what gear did you use to capture that image? Thanks...
This was a 2.75:1 crop from a 150-500mm Sigma on a Pentax DSLR. I figure the hawk was a little over a hundred feet away, across the pond, roughly the size of a fullmoon. The shot was taken just before sunset. I might've mucked up the saturation and color by switching from auto white balance to daylight white balance, and upping the saturation a bit. I don't have the original RAW file on my work computer. I don't think it was the best shot, but it is a bird I haven't seen before in our neighborhood, and its always great to add a new bird to my collection. I would've preferred to have been able to get a shot from forty feet away .....
- Sheldon
Here's a Cedar Waxwing, same lens, same bird outing, slightly cropped, that is tack sharp and would enlarge beautifully.

Attachments

• IMGP9670.jpg
    IMGP9670.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMGP9646.jpg
    IMGP9646.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Agree with Red-Shouldered Hawk; you can see the barring on the secondaries. It's the buteo that looks almost like an accipiter when perched.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back