• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what species of hawk is this? southern Ontario (1 Viewer)

Yes, Cooper's Hawk. As noted above, it's an accipiter and a Cooper's by overall size, tail (long, rounded with as broad white tip), pale nape.

Thanks everyone! Now my next question is, does anyone know why it flew to the ground like that? Is that common behaviour? I've never seen a hawk do that unless it was eating something. Obviously it looked very healty and alert, i was just surprised it would walk around on the ground like that.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Now my next question is, does anyone know why it flew to the ground like that? Is that common behaviour? I've never seen a hawk do that unless it was eating something. Obviously it looked very healty and alert, i was just surprised it would walk around on the ground like that.

Cooper's hawks prey almost exclusively on small birds. It looks to me like your bird started an aggressive run at something that was behind the post (or whatever it is that's blocking the camera), then slowed and swerved while near the ground. Maybe there was a small bird perched on or under that low bush, but the hawk decided it'd missed its chance. Maybe the hawk was making a blind run based on noise (they do that, it lets them catch their prey by surprise without being seen), or maybe it even was confused by a falling leaf or a reflection. In any event, it decided to rest on the ground for a few seconds to catch its breath (and lighten its load) before promptly returning to a safer perch with better views.

Note that when a hawk of this type strikes a bird mid-air, it generally doesn't hang on to the prey. The stunned prey drops to the ground and the hawk picks it up from there. So going to the ground briefly is pretty normal.

Cooper's hawks prey almost exclusively on small birds. It looks to me like your bird started an aggressive run at something that was behind the post (or whatever it is that's blocking the camera), then slowed and swerved while near the ground. Maybe there was a small bird perched on or under that low bush, but the hawk decided it'd missed its chance. Maybe the hawk was making a blind run based on noise (they do that, it lets them catch their prey by surprise without being seen), or maybe it even was confused by a falling leaf or a reflection. In any event, it decided to rest on the ground for a few seconds to catch its breath (and lighten its load) before promptly returning to a safer perch with better views.

Note that when a hawk of this type strikes a bird mid-air, it generally doesn't hang on to the prey. The stunned prey drops to the ground and the hawk picks it up from there. So going to the ground briefly is pretty normal.
amazing! thanks so much for this info. I've often seen Red tailed hawks - one just caught something in our backyard a few days ago, but this is the first time I've had a verified Cooper's Hawk sighting. The Cooper's Hawk is back there right now. I can see it perched in a tree from my window as I type. Second time I've seen it today.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back