• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lake District Holiday (1 Viewer)

TimF

We are taking a weeks break next week in the Lake District (Cumbria).

We will be staying in Ambleside for the week and would welcome any suggestions for "Bird Walks" or suggested good birding spots in the area.

Checked out the Cumbria regional section already but any other information or recommendations would be most welcome.

We will have car and bicycles with us!

Many thanks

Tim

There is a Where to go Birding for this region which might be worth trying to source. Sorry I don't have one to lend you.

Regards
P

P

Thanks for that - Did try to get one - seems to be difficult to get hold of - could have purchased on-line but left it too late

- My local RSPB has every WTW but Cumbria - hence the post.

Not to worry - will take a look at Brockhole Visitor centre when I get there tomorrow or just play it by ear!!

Thanks again

The shore of the lake around Ambleside itself can be quite good, as can other parts of Windermere. Grizedale Forest isn't too far away, a decent bet for Crossbills.

There is actually a new book of birdwatching walks in Cumbria by Tim Dean and Jeremy Roberts, given its Cumbria focus you might be able to pick up a copy in an Ambleside bookshop.

Stephen.

I'm staying in Penrith at the moment and found a great book in Bookends in Carlisle the other day. It is called Birding Walks in Cumbria by Jeremy Roberts and another person I can't remember the name of (pub. 2002 for £7.95). It has about 50 walks, all with a map, directions and a list of what you're likely to see. Haven't looked at them all so can't say if there's anything for the Ambleside area. I don't have the book on me right now as I'm using the computer in the local library!

I tried to buy the other book - Where to watch birds in Cumbria, Lancs & Cheshire, but it is currently being revised and reprinted and is not out yet, but 1997 issues may be available at a local bookshop or a local library may have one. I borrowed one from Penrith library.

Hope you have a great time - we've been having some wonderful weather.

Thanks Helen

Just got back - as luck would have it on the Sunday (5th) there was a bird walk at Brockhole with a very knowedgebale chap from Grange - over - Sands (owned a wildlife shop there) and was able to give us lots of ideas.

Also purchased a copy of "Birding walks" from the visitor centre.

Completed one of the walks - Claife Heights - This was really the only decent day of the week weather wise!

Also visited Leighton Moss (on edge of lakeland) - Superb reserve - views of Marsh Harrier hunting - waders etc - even the feeder near the visitor center was interesting with Nuthatch and Marsh Tits feeding.

Got to put in a mention for a little Camera/Binocular shop in Ulverston - Photoexpress - just put in an optics showroom - massive stock and will match internet prices - ended up buying a new leica scope!

Thats the problem with poor weather whilst on Holiday in the UK -We always end up spending more time in shops - spending money!

Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back