• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 8x25 CL-P best compact binocular? (1 Viewer)

The eye cups unscrew off them. I like that. It makes cleaning the oculars easier.

It would be nice if they had simple objective covers. I have brushed the objectives a few times with my fingers while taking them out of my shirt pocket.

Bob

Last edited:
The eye cups unscrew off them. I like that. It makes cleaning the oculars easier.

It would be nice if they had simple objective covers. I have brushed the objectives a few times with my fingers while taking them out of my shirt pocket.

Bob

Yes indeed, a stroke of genius on Swaro's part. Does anyone else do this?

But the coatings themselves seem a bit dirt prone. Maybe it's me.

Imagine a sort of "bra" that could cover both ends and be quick to remove. Skip the case. Yummy.

Sancho, it should fit OK. Even in the case it's about the size of a water bottle, maybe a bit wider.

Mark

Sancho, it should fit OK. Even in the case it's about the size of a water bottle, maybe a bit wider.

Mark

OMG Mark, you have just solved my problem! I won't carry the 8x25 in a shirt pocket, I'll carry it in a bottle! I have a wide-lid 'bottle' that sits in the bottle-carrier but is really for carrying a tube, tyre levers, CO2 inflator, bike-tool etc. All that crap can go back in a small saddle-bag. The bins can go in there, suitably padded. Woo-hoo! I'm 609 euro poorer, but bino-richer!B :)

Last edited:
I keep mine in the case that came with my Nikon 10x25 LX L. It fits perfectly. I don't use the Nikon very much.

Bob

Bob

I was more concerned about having eyepiece covers. As luck would have it, I had an old pair of Minolta compacts that did have eyepiece covers which fit perfectly.
So I don't lose them I fixed them to a piece of braided nylon which I fed through the neck strap loops where they join the binoculars.
Works like a charm.
Now looking for some more old caps to do the same with the objectives.

I bought some cheap push on caps for the eye pieces on my 8x pocket from China, on the auction site, but the ones I got for the objectives won't stay on because the body at the objective end has that slight angled tapered section each side, you would need a deeper than usual cap for it to stay on, not sure why they did that, shame they did not make them completely round, but it's still easily the best compact I have used though.

OMG Mark, you have just solved my problem! I won't carry the 8x25 in a shirt pocket, I'll carry it in a bottle! I have a wide-lid 'bottle' that sits in the bottle-carrier but is really for carrying a tube, tyre levers, CO2 inflator, bike-tool etc. All that crap can go back in a small saddle-bag. The bins can go in there, suitably padded. Woo-hoo! I'm 609 euro poorer, but bino-richer!B :)

Let us know how it works out, Sancho. :t:

Yes indeed, a stroke of genius on Swaro's part. Does anyone else do this?

I guess they got the idea from Leica ;) My UV HD 42 also allows me to take the eyecups off and cleaning is so easy, no wiping dirt out of the edges... Really love this, simple and so useful.

Agree with just about everything positive said about these CL's. They really are a fantastic pocket/ compact binocular. I just find myself ( for most of my uses) grabbing a lightweight 8x32, or a full size 42mm bino. I do have a 7x26 B&L CC that I have used for years; but the 8x25 CL is a better binocular. If I used pocket and compact sizes more often I would be keeping the CL.

Here is a somewhat shameless plug for the 8x25 CL,s that I have listed here in the classifieds:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=313050

I've come to the party a bit late but here's my take on the Swaro 8x25's

In a word.........extraordinary. I have had compacts from all the big boys but these behave more like a good 8x32
The image is bright, colours natural. Very sharp, even at the edges. Chromatic aberration is very low. I'm very fussy about optics having spent my whole working life in the film industry ( camera department ) so used to the best from Panavision, Nikon, Leica, Zeiss and Canon.
My other current bins are Swarovski 8.5x42 SV, Nikon EDG 8x32, Leica Ultravid 8x32 BR
I agree RTFM. They are extraordinary and all I use these days. Brighter and sharper than they ought to be with a 25mm objective.

You see some amazing things on that auction site, I just saw a used 8x25 Swaro CL pocket sell for more than the price of a new one !!

CL Pocket objective covers

Well, I may have found a solution, I bought these rifle scope flip covers from China, quite cheap on the auction site, £1.45 free PP. They fit a bit tight, I split the soft plastic sleeve on the first one putting it on, so ordered a couple more, but I warmed the other one a bit and it stretched ok, and they go on nice and deep, these are 33mm but if you could find 34mm it would be perfect. Bit worried the black plastic may bleed into the green armour so I will put them on when using the bin and take them off before putting away. Will see how they go, but seem to do the job.

Attachments

• flipcover1.JPG
    flipcover1.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 306
  • flipcover2.JPG
    flipcover2.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 265
  • flipcover3.JPG
    flipcover3.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 195
Thanks Samandag, amazing what you can find to fit when you search, I ordered a couple of 64mm ones for some big vintage bins I have.

I just bought the Swarovski 8x25 CL because i want something brighter and steady to hold than my Ultravid 10x25.

At the store i was checking side by side my UV 10X25 VS the 10x25 CL just to compare similar binoculars but my intention was to get the 8x version due to its bigger FOV and bright.

The Leicas and the Swaros 10x25 are very similar for sharpness and CA control easy to check it today because it is a overcast raining day here in Manchester U.K

What kills for me the view thru the Leicas at least in this weather conditions in his more contrasty view thanks to his cream color cast, i say cream because i didn't notice the typical red cast like in the other leicas biggest bins makes the view somewhat dim clearly showing the white cars like dirty white with cream color.

Side by side the view with the swaroski is more clean and is very easy to notice when checking binoculars side by side.

I am a huge Fan of Leica having Few crazy expensive M camera lenses and bodies also an excellent Ultravid plus HD 10X50 who has also the typical Leica strong contrast and color reproduction but as it is a 50 mm binocular his light gathering ability makes a nice balance in the view Contrast,brightness showing more pure whites than the small 10x25.

Leaving aside the emotional and loyalty for a brand i think that i did a good buy but now the new Kowas 8x25 With HD Lens and Big FOV are gonna be available very soon on market so maybe i should wait a little bit and check it side by side with the CL ?.

There is a review of the new Kowas and it looks like they are better than the swaros with CA control.

Lets wait and see.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back