• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which name came first? (1 Viewer)

OwlTalon

Always Watching
I was wondering......Was Falco columbarius or the magician of Arthurian legend first named "Merlin"? If anyone knows, the answer, I would like to know which was named for which!

The wizard was "Merlin" first I guess.
For the falcon, I found:
Middle English merlioun, from Anglo-French merilun, alteration of esmerilun, augmentative of Old French esmeril, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German smiril merlin. The name is probably derived from a brownish-blue type of stone.

It's possible that at a certain moment, the people thought it was called after the magician, and called it Merlin as well.

. .. or because it (the bird) had mercurial and magical ways of movement (?). Surely the name Merlin - the wizard (itself a derivation) came first as it appeared in Geoffrey of Monmouth's 'History of the Kings Of Britain' in the 1100s. Language was totally different 'back then' but the name has survived.

Curiously, "Birds Britannica", normally a mine of such information, says only, "The name 'merlin' is itself of unknown (if ancient) origin, but it has nothing to do with the wizard of Arthurian legend."

'All the Birds of the Air' by Francesca Greenoak states that the name Merlin is believed to have come from the French Emerillon, itself derivied from the Latin Merula i.e. Blackbird. Quite why this should be I can't imagine but it is far removed from Wizards and King Arthur

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back