• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which birds has the most insect like call? (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
My wife and I have been arguing over the last week about the origins of a song we keep hearing. I, in my infinite wisdom, declared that I know of no bird that sounds like that, it's an insect, 100%.

Cyprus Wheatear which is breeding in our garden, is the culprit, never would have guessed without seeing it!

Just click the fist recording at this link.

Last edited:
Grasshopper Sparrow does its best. I presume that it uses its tongue to produce the noise but Google failed me when I looked it up.

All the best

Paul
Henslow's Sparrow is often described as insect-like, but I think Grasshopper is just as good if not better.

Lesser Nighthawk's seemingly never-ending trill has some insect qualities, or even amphibian-like.

Good one but, I think the little whistle at the end of each phrase, may give it away as a bird?

Some of the other Asian Locustella are also worth considering. Try these:
Baikal Bush Warbler: XC757071 Baikal Bush Warbler (Locustella davidi)
Chinese Bush Warbler: XC381998 Chinese Bush Warbler (Locustella tacsanowskia)
Brown Bush Warbler: XC652604 Brown Bush Warbler (Locustella luteoventris)

Rufous-faced Warbler has also caught me out before:

Some of the other Asian Locustella are also worth considering. Try these:
Baikal Bush Warbler: XC757071 Baikal Bush Warbler (Locustella davidi)
Chinese Bush Warbler: XC381998 Chinese Bush Warbler (Locustella tacsanowskia)
Brown Bush Warbler: XC652604 Brown Bush Warbler (Locustella luteoventris)

Rufous-faced Warbler has also caught me out before:
Wow, never would have guessed any of those were birds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back