• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FoV of Swaro 25-50x EP, any other contenders? (1 Viewer)

Hobbes2

I am looking to go to using a larger objective scope (80mm) and, after looking through a few contenders (over a large price range!), I came to the conclusion that the field of view of the new Swarovski 25-50x eyepiece is hard to beat. I was just wondering whether there were other less expensive options which offer the same/comparable field of view?
Thanks
Hobbes

The Leica 25-50 EP is very similar. The 82 mm scope is also very nice, I found it slightly better than the ATM/ATS. Though not less expensive.

But proably you should have a look at the new Meopta S2 scope, there have been enthousiastic comments about it. It has a 30-60x wide angle EP.

The Leica 25-50 EP is very similar. The 82 mm scope is also very nice, I found it slightly better than the ATM/ATS. Though not less expensive.

But proably you should have a look at the new Meopta S2 scope, there have been enthousiastic comments about it. It has a 30-60x wide angle EP.

Thanks Florian. I've just had a look at the spec for Meopta S2 with WA EP. Definitely worth considering. I hadn't realised Leica had brought out a similar 25-50EP although that doesn't help with reducing my costs ;).
All the best :t:
Hobbes

Hobbes, I was loaned a Meopta S2 HD for a sea watching trip. Handing it back was truly a struggle. At 60x the field of view is astounding as is the brightness. I also tried the 70x zoom and although narrowish, is bright, crystal clear and pin sharp. I'm saving till I can have one of my own. Seriously astonishing scope.

Hobbes, I was loaned a Meopta S2 HD for a sea watching trip. Handing it back was truly a struggle. At 60x the field of view is astounding as is the brightness. I also tried the 70x zoom and although narrowish, is bright, crystal clear and pin sharp. I'm saving till I can have one of my own. Seriously astonishing scope.

Good to hear, thanks, Ratal. The trick will be to find one to test… I've looked through the Swaro 80HD with x25-50EP and couldn't fault it. Of course, a little matter of funding is another hurdle ;). All good fun!
Hobbes

Hobbes,

If I might offer another suggestion? You obviously are considering expensive scopes but may consider a slightly less expensive one with a wide angle zoom of similar specs....how about the RSPB 82 HD? It has a 25-50x wide angle zoom lens. Price at the place I found below was 999 (can't find the proper currency symbol on my keyboard). I looked at several websites but couldn't find the field of view specs listed for it. However, the RSPB scope is a dead ringer for the Zen Ray Prime HD (see the second link below). The listed field of view specs for it are 128 feet at 25x and 80 feet at 50x. I had the ZR ED2 25-50x, predecessor to the Prime HD and have to say that it was possibly my favorite all around scope/eyepiece combination (short of spending a great deal more money).

http://www.vikingopticalcentres.co.uk/rspb-82-hd-spotting-scope

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/spottingscopes/primehd-spotter-2550.html

Hobbes,

If I might offer another suggestion? You obviously are considering expensive scopes but may consider a slightly less expensive one with a wide angle zoom of similar specs....how about the RSPB 82 HD? It has a 25-50x wide angle zoom lens. Price at the place I found below was 999 (can't find the proper currency symbol on my keyboard). I looked at several websites but couldn't find the field of view specs listed for it. However, the RSPB scope is a dead ringer for the Zen Ray Prime HD (see the second link below). The listed field of view specs for it are 128 feet at 25x and 80 feet at 50x. I had the ZR ED2 25-50x, predecessor to the Prime HD and have to say that it was possibly my favorite all around scope/eyepiece combination (short of spending a great deal more money).

http://www.vikingopticalcentres.co.uk/rspb-82-hd-spotting-scope

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/spottingscopes/primehd-spotter-2550.html

Hi Frank
Thank you for your input - much appreciated. I will certainly take a good look at the RSPB option. I'm after a superb wide-angle view and if I can get it without paying top dollar then all the better. :t:
Thanks again
Hobbes

14mm to 16mm max eye relief on the RSPB scope - beautiful image, but if you decide to throw on some sunglasses for summer sea watching, your FOV goes right out the window. One of the RSPB group leaders up this way uses one and image wise is a beauty.

14mm to 16mm max eye relief on the RSPB scope - beautiful image, but if you decide to throw on some sunglasses for summer sea watching, your FOV goes right out the window. One of the RSPB group leaders up this way uses one and image wise is a beauty.

Good to know, Ratal. I wear glasses |8.|!

Good to know, Ratal. I wear glasses |8.|!

You'll not get a useable eye relief unless you take them off. Its weird as the scope is a beauty but for that tragic failing. With glasses as you zoom up the eye relief is a pain in the arse.

My wife wears glasses and my one rule from her on buying an alpha scope: if it cannot be used with glasses, its not happening.

You'll not get a useable eye relief unless you take them off. Its weird as the scope is a beauty but for that tragic failing. With glasses as you zoom up the eye relief is a pain in the arse.

My wife wears glasses and my one rule from her on buying an alpha scope: if it cannot be used with glasses, its not happening.

Interesting. Thanks Ratal. Well, I definitely want a scope that enables me to wear my glasses and still get the absolute best out of it. Your wife is a sensible lady :t:

Interesting. Thanks Ratal. Well, I definitely want a scope that enables me to wear my glasses and still get the absolute best out of it. Your wife is a sensible lady :t:

In that case you should be aware that some find the Swaro 25-50x zoom a bit short on eye relief and struggle to use it comfortably with glasses on.

2nd place is not bad at all, especially considering some reviewers actually preferred it to number 1 and number 1 is twice the cost.

In that case you should be aware that some find the Swaro 25-50x zoom a bit short on eye relief and struggle to use it comfortably with glasses on.

I tried the Swaro 25-50x and it was fine with my glasses on.

I'll need to try the Meopta I think. Specs really do look impressive.

Thanks everyone :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back