• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB changing (1 Viewer)

It seems to me that the RSPB is seeking to re-position itself. It is self-evident that in order to protect birds their habitat needs to be safeguarded and managed. Surely no one can disagree.

How the RSNC or the wildlife trusts view that prospect is unknown to me

It seems to me that the RSPB is seeking to re-position itself. It is self-evident that in order to protect birds their habitat needs to be safeguarded and managed. Surely no one can disagree.

The Audubon Society went through a similar kind of transformation a few decades ago, from an organization specifically devoted to birds, to one with an interest in general conservation. I remember objecting strenuously to this change of focus at the time, going so far as to cancel my membership for a spell, but now I'm not so sure. My worry then (and to a certain extent now) was that the AS would spread itself too thin, squandering money on PR campaigns ("education") and lobbying which would be better spent on buying up land for sanctuaries and on the protection of individual species. Now, as I've said, I'm not so sure, but still have some misgivings on the change of course and haven't read the magazine for years.

Mark,

I accept that I went over the mark after reading your comments, which I considered to be both dismissive and disparaging. I should not have risen to the bait. I believe that we are both in error and regret my contribution to the dispute.

The investigations unit on there own are worth the membership... Top guys and always willing to help, sometimes with very little benefit to themselves or the organisation

I've read this a few times now, that people think the RSPB has 'lost it's way'. I don't understand why people can't see that to protect birds, the rest of wildlife needs to be protected too. They haven't lost their way, they've broadened their spectrum. It's not like they've gone cold turkey on bird conservation. The RSPB need to make more people aware of nature itself, that doesn't necessarily start with birds. I agree with their advertising campaign.

In regards to the magazine, I still enjoy it, but maybe I'm not fussy in that respect!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back