• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winter 2022-23 and my hopes for this winter (1 Viewer)

condor1992

Spain
As I prepare to return to my favourite wetland again upon hearing the news that hen harriers and merlins have returned there for the winter, I decided to remember what last winter was like. This was spurred on by the realization that a small bird of prey on one of my January photos was in fact a merlin. If only I had my superzoom with me back then...
Lady Amherst's Pheasant at Flitwick. Wanted to see it for years
IMG_5826.JPG
Merlin at RSPB Nene Washes. This photo explains why this falcon is at #1 of my wishlist this year. Apparently my swamp is very good for them...
IMG_5948.JPG
Hen harrier at RSPB Nene Washes. Hopefully they come closer this year, just like Montagu's harriers did in April...
IMG_6113.JPG
Long-eared owl deep in a bush in Lincolnshire. Hopefully BirdGuides is a little more careful with the location considering what happened in February at the site...
IMG_5861.JPG
Wood duck at Rickmansworth. Prettiest duck ever
IMG_6749.JPG
Cranes at WWT Slimbridge
IMG_6731.JPG
The short-eared owl is probably the easiest bird for me to see given a former haunt has reactivated a stone's throw from where I lived
IMG_6330.JPG
Typically I only chase raptors and am oblivious to anything else. But the one thing I will not be able to ignore at all this time is a baikal teal...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back