• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Traveling with the Nikon 600 mm f/4 VR (1 Viewer)

Anand_Vishwanadha

Hi Folks,

I am looking at a birding trip that involves travel (by train / bus) for me and my Nikon 600 mm f/4 VR and I was wondering if I could look at taking the lens along with me in the CT-607 Trunk Case in which it was sold.

In case I go by bus the Trunk Case (and the lens in it) would be in the luggage bay and may get tossed around a bit, in case I go by train it would be below my berth and have a relatively far smoother passage :)

While on this topic -- I am also wondering about using the Trunk Case; while the padding in it is impressive and the lens fits into it snugly, the tripod collar seems to be in the way and I am having to apply some pressure to bring the top down. Is this something that will go away with use?

Again, while on this topic, is there a camera bag that will allow me to travel with the lens (and attached TC and DSLR) and another camera, tripod, gimbal, etc? Is it advisable to travel with a TC attached to the lens?

Looking forward to advise / feedback from those who have been there, done that :)

Warm Regards,

Anand

Again, while on this topic, is there a camera bag that will allow me to travel with the lens (and attached TC and DSLR) and another camera, tripod, gimbal, etc? Is it advisable to travel with a TC attached to the lens?

Looking forward to advise / feedback from those who have been there, done that :)

Warm Regards,

Anand

Hi Anand. Whilst I can't comment on the suitability of the Nikon case (or suggest an alternative) for long haul travel, I can say that I'd never put a very valuable lens in the luggage hold of a bus or under the seat on a train (constant vibrations) but if there is an overhead bin ? Yes, if not then close to me !

Also you should never travel with a TC or DSLR attached since this is by far the weakest link and it's not a stretch to imagine damaging the mount (of any ; the camera, the lens or the TC). Same reason why heavy lenses should always be supported and not left to hang off the camera (when on a strap).

Considering the values involved I would consider getting a matching size pelican case with customized foam padding for transport from A to B......
Also less obvious re contents than the Nikon trunk.

Yes seaspirit, I am looking at getting a Pelican as well and yes the "obviousness" of what is inside is a big worry. The problem is that anything to do with lenses cost a bomb! But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, I guess :)

Thanks Horukuru, I just checked the site you mentioned and those strolley bags do look good but a tad too small for this monster. Could you share the specific model that you think will work for the 600 mm?

BTW, I took the original CT-607 case with me for the lens and it was easy enough to travel with. I hoisted it into my train berth and secured it with a chain that I locked :)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back