• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bad year for grass snakes? (1 Viewer)

meles

Where I work, it is normal at this time of year for me to see at least 2 or 3 grass snakes every day when walking round the grounds. In good years I have often had 6 or 7 a day. But my most recent sighting was October last year - nothing at all this year. Has anyone else noticed a similar drop in numbers? I can't see that the habitat has changed significantly, so I am wondering what has happened to them.

Where I work, it is normal at this time of year for me to see at least 2 or 3 grass snakes every day when walking round the grounds. In good years I have often had 6 or 7 a day. But my most recent sighting was October last year - nothing at all this year. Has anyone else noticed a similar drop in numbers? I can't see that the habitat has changed significantly, so I am wondering what has happened to them.

Not seen any myself this year but have had three non-naturalist friends, none of whom have seen Grass Snakes before, ask me to ID pictures they've taken in the last week. So they are out there.

Phil

Has anyone else noticed a similar drop in numbers?

Yes, last year I was seeing them almost daily, often two or three individuals. Despite doing the patch daily, I've yet to see one this summer. I also asked friends locally, and they've seen none either. We had two very prolonged periods of heavy flooding across the patch during the winter, which appears to have affected the dragonflies, some regular species absent this year. I wondered if the rather adverse conditions had affected the snakes also?

Meles- could they have done something to their hibernation places or egg laying places?
Gounds maintenance, new buildings or roads, general tidyup, filling in of a pond?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back