• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-throated Mango? Trinidad. (1 Viewer)

Drevni

We saw this one at the feeders in the Pax Guesthouse. It seems to have a black spot on its neck and the only species I see that has this is the Black-throated Mango.

DSC05800.jpg

Thank you all for the help!

I think the spot might have a different color in different light, and I do not think the Bt Mango had that without also having a dark stripe all the way down the center of the breast.

If a Mango, Green-throated seems more likely according to the Kenefick book, but have you considered a juvenile White-necked Jacobin?

Niels

I'd like to see another photo, especially from the side to see the bill better. The throat, although it appears dark here, like Niels said, could be a brilliant color with just a little sunlight. I'll add a young Long-billed Starthroat as another candidate.

I can rule out the Black-throated Mango (common at Pax) as well as the Green-throated Mango (wrong habitat - lowland coastal in Trinidad).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back