• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Budget of $1500 - 2000...recommendations? (1 Viewer)

So based on the comments in the post, which have been SO helpful (thank you for helping me navigate the complicated world of binoculars!) I've narrowed it down to three:

1. Zeiss Victory FL 8x32 ($1950)
2. Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 ($825)
3. Swarovski EL 8x32 ($2300, but would wait for a demo)

I did see a lot of complaints about the diopter in the Conquest around 2010--perhaps Zeiss has fixed this problem?

I'm going to speak with Eagle Optics tomorrow and see what they have to say. I'd like to order at least two pair to compare...are they truly open to customers doing this and returning one?

I have waded through the recommendations that have been mentioned
and there are some very nice choices in the mix.

I do think a 42mm binocular is a better choice for you as an all around binocular. The 32's are a bit lighter to carry, but there are many advantages to a nice 42mm model. They offer a brighter, easier view
and that is why 42mm is the most popular size.

In your final 3 choices mentioned, I think any may work, but try one
of these models in a 42mm size, you do need to compare and try.
The easiest one to try would be the 8x42 Conquest HD. I have the
10x42 HD, and I think it is very good.

Good luck with your search.

Jerry

In your final 3 choices mentioned, I think any may work, but try one
of these models in a 42mm size, you do need to compare and try.
The easiest one to try would be the 8x42 Conquest HD. I have the
10x42 HD, and I think it is very good.

Jerry, thank you for the recommendation. I will give 42 a try. :)

So based on the comments in the post, which have been SO helpful (thank you for helping me navigate the complicated world of binoculars!) I've narrowed it down to three:

I did see a lot of complaints about the diopter in the Conquest around 2010--perhaps Zeiss has fixed this problem?

I'm going to speak with Eagle Optics tomorrow and see what they have to say. I'd like to order at least two pair to compare...are they truly open to customers doing this and returning one?

Good deal. I thought 32mm would be the way to go--weight, size, etc. I'm not convinced 42mm is the bastion it once was. Just make sure you see the 32mm SV EL. I know some still like the 32mm FL, but I have both, wear glasses like you, and have a hard time understanding why anyone would prefer the FL. IMHO. ;)

Mark

Traveller BGA MG by Opticron.
6x32 367g 13 oz.
8x32 380g less than 14 oz.
19mm eye relief.
According to specs.
These are much lighter than competition.
Available U.S.A.

"Eyeglasses wearer, daytime birding, light weight....."

Then, I'd suggest the ELSV 8x32. Sharp to the edge, very bright and color neutral. Personally I think they are the best 8x32, period. Usually a demo costs within your budget.
Of course, I agree to most members suggestion that "try before you buy".

Andy

If weight and size are important to you, you might also consider the Leica Ultravid 8x32 HD. Optically perhaps not quite as good as the Victory FL and the Swarovski, but still very, very nice. A friend of mine who's got some pretty bad problems with his back switched to the Leica, and he's more than happy. You should check whether they work with your eyeglasses though.

Hermann

Zeiss told me they fixed the problem, and I haven't heard any new complaints in the past year or so.

Hermann

I ordered both the Victory FL and Swarovski EL. I am happy to announce that I am keeping the Swarovski's and am a much happier birder today than I was yesterday. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back