• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

See how we go with these..... (3 Viewers)

Rg548

Retired Somewhere
United Kingdom
I was going to get a Fujinon FMTR 7x50 as I have started to do a bit of low light viewing, foxes and badgers and trying to find otters (failed so far) as the light fades, and also i've been doing a bit more stargazing (very casually)!!
But being the opposite of a collector, I thought they would spend most of their time sat idle, which will annoy me, as they are not 'general binos'
So instead of spending £700 on a pair that won't see too much use, i decided to try to a more general pair, to see if I could get one pair fits all. And a cheaper all round option too!!
So I found a 'just serviced by East Coast binoculars' Zeiss HT8x42, mint unmarked optics, very very light handling marks on body. Great price....box, bag and strap all present and already marked a bit, so no need to be too precious!!
I loved my Conquest 8x42's so thought these a good punt.
First impressions mirror my memory from a while ago....
Crazy bright and super sharp. I like the slightly heavy weight (800g), like my old Meoptas, it helps steady the image.
They feel nice, just got them, but good so far!!

20240317_100433.jpg

At the risk of repeating myself (and at my age that probably occurs more often than I realize ;)), a good 8x42 will perform any task at least 90% as well as the ideal hand-held binocular for that application.
Many of us are seduced by figures (the bigger, the better) or the simple desire for something new.

John

I was going to get a Fujinon FMTR 7x50 as I have started to do a bit of low light viewing, foxes and badgers and trying to find otters (failed so far) as the light fades, and also i've been doing a bit more stargazing (very casually)!!
But being the opposite of a collector, I thought they would spend most of their time sat idle, which will annoy me, as they are not 'general binos'
So instead of spending £700 on a pair that won't see too much use, i decided to try to a more general pair, to see if I could get one pair fits all. And a cheaper all round option too!!
So I found a 'just serviced by East Coast binoculars' Zeiss HT8x42, mint unmarked optics, very very light handling marks on body. Great price....box, bag and strap all present and already marked a bit, so no need to be too precious!!
Crazy bright and super sharp. I like the slightly heavy weight (800g), like my old Meoptas, it helps steady the image.

View attachment 1565114
“How much use they see” is entirely your choice.

Please get over the idea that binoculars are single-purpose devices, they aren’t.

Take them with you everywhere, and look at everything and anything.

You will see things that you never knew existed, or dreamed of. You will see details in everyday objects that will surprise you.

The things that they reveal should be a source of never-ending delight.

Last edited:
The HT use Abbe-Koenig prisms that are longer and more glass-heavy than the more common Schmidt-Pechan, which shifts the balance somewhat. These were Zeiss' top of the line, albeit for a fairly short period of time between the Victory FL and the Victory SF, so it seems like you got a great deal!

The Victory HT 8x54 and 10x54 are still current.

Are you saying you got them for less than 700 pounds? nice score! I would have taken that deal too, they look new (y)(y)
No...
I was referring to the cost if I had bought the Fujinons, AND had to also have a general purpose bino.
That would, in total, be more than this one on its' own.
I actually paid £950, which considering they had just got back from East Coast for a full going over, boxed with accessories, I was more than happy with.
It's an amazing view.
I prefer the old school curve views, I'm not a fan of flat field.
I prefer these HT's, and Ultravids..... to NL Pures, SF's..... But I accept i'm in the minority here.

“How much use they see” is entirely your choice.

Please get over the idea that binoculars are single-purpose devices, they aren’t.

Take them with you everywhere, and look at everything and anything.

You will see things that you never knew existed, or dreamed of. You will see details in everyday objects that will surprise you.

The things that they reveal should be a source of never-ending delight.
Nice bit of prose. Deserves to be on a banner in this sub-forum.

View attachment 1565114
Why didn't you go for the Habicht 7x42 for that purpose? Even a bit cheaper...

Why didn't you go for the Habicht 7x42 for that purpose? Even a bit cheaper...
It's not such a good allrounder, and I do find that tunnel vision a bit of a restriction. I love the Habicht 7x42, but I would want another bino for general easier viewing.
I feel that with the HT, I have a superb all round instrument, great for low light, good fov, easy handling, and to top it off with an 'alpha' view.
I want it to be my one stop bino. I used to be happy with just a Conquest until I hit the upgrade path.... because you do!!!!

I do have an Ultravid 8x20 but I don't really count this as I don't use it unless I have to, or if I'm out on my paddleboard where I travel very light. It just allows me to have a bino when I don't want to carry a bino, but I would never use it over a full size bin as a rule.
For example, it was in my pocket when I had a day in London.... just in case.... but I would never walk around London all day with a full size bino.

So I wouldn't be without it.... as much of a fiddly little tool that it is.... it serves a great purpose!!

And he bought a 5.25mm exit pupil...

The HT 8x42 must be really good. Never tried it. I have a SLC 8x42 for that purpose. Good in low light, but still allround.
Yes , the HT is superb, so far i'm really pleased.
But from memory, the SLC is awesome too, its been a while since I had the pleasure, but I remember it being very good, but out of my price range at that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back