• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

£100 - £150 Pounds to spend (1 Viewer)

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
A friend of mine wants to buy her husband a general purpose pair of birding binoculars for Christmas.

She has £100 to £150 to spend.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Mono

Mono said:
A friend of mine wants to buy her husband a general purpose pair of birding binoculars for Christmas.

She has £100 to £150 to spend.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Mono
Nikon Monarch 8x36, currently being sold at the real bargain price of £127.00 by an online but well known company called Tecno (click here) - will they be delivered in time? They do a "next day" service. These are from a top maker, are well made and fully waterproof - highly regarded as well as having a good guarantee.

Here is a clip from one of the very many threads that discuss this binocular:

"This is one of those bins that I think Cornell got right in their review. The Monarch, particularly the 8xs, are probably my favorite bins in this price range. I have owned the 10x42s, 8x42s and 8x36s. If I had to choose one again I would say the 36's would be my choice. Why? Because they do not really give up much in terms of brightness to the 42 mm model and yet you gain an extra 37 feet of view (or .7 degrees). You also get a bin that is approximately 2/3rds the size of the 42 mm. Now the 42 mm is not big or heavy by any stretch of the imagination but the 36 mm is just a tad bit smaller without being "dainty". Either would be a good choice in my opinion but I would prefer the wider field of view and more compact size. To me it would tend to depend on what those other two bins or yours are. I would look for the Monarch size to compliment them.

Oh, and to answer your other question, the lenses are fully multicoated and the prisms are phase coated."

They won't disappoint at all - gosh, lucky chap!

Last edited:
Yes, the 8x36 Monarch has some pluses. And there really is not a roof prism out there that is better for that price.

Thanks for the advice.

I'll pass it on and hopefully he'll have a full stocking at Christmas!

Mono

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back