• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suggested camera with focus peaking for ATX95 (1 Viewer)

etn991

Although I only recently made my first post, I have been reading with great interest for a while now. However, I spent most of my time reading the scope forums (to finally select my Swarovski ATX95, which will hopefully be the last scope I ever buy). Thanks everyone for all the reviews all around.

When I purchased this 3 months ago I knew my existing DSLR body would not be very suitable (a Nikon D70s), so I upgraded to a current Nikon body (D7100) so I could keep using my lenses.

I have enjoyed using it for the past 3 months (with TLS-APO) and gotten some results I'm very happy with, but in now reading the digiscoping/videoscoping forums more, I find I wish my D7100 had some features like focus peaking, live histogram, etc. Especially since I've been shooting more video as well.

Having read these forums, I saw quite a few suggestions for cameras (some of which I have listed below), but I guess I would just like a little help from people with more experience than me selecting from among the following options (or new suggestions welcome).

If my summary is lacking, please correct me. I've inserted question marks where I am unsure. Some of the pro's and con's may be specific to my situation.

My ultimate goal is to improve my number of keepers while maintaining image quality.

1. Built in lens camera like the Sony RX-100M2.
Pros: big sensor, focus peaking, live histogram, electronic shutter only, AF? (I don't know how useful that will be through scope)
Cons: need to buy DCBII, external EVF expensive, battery life?

2. Micro four thirds camera like Panasonic GX7 (or GH3/GH4)
Pros: big sensor, focus peaking, live histogram, AF if used with lens and DCBII, could be used with my existing TLS-APO saving $$$, has EVF built in
Cons: need to buy DCBII for use with lens, battery life?

3. Keep using D7100, but add external device to add peaking and histogram (HDMI connected recorders or external EVF's made for pro video cameras, or something like Camranger).
Pros: bigger sensor, already own camera
Cons: added complexity, added weight

As a follow up, for cameras like the Sony RX-100M2 and Pana GX7, does the in camera stabilization really help when used on the scope?

Thanks for reading this long post, and I hope to hear some good opinions.
And hopefully others will benefit from any discussion.

Thanks,
Ed N.

You may want to look at the Fuji X thread on this forum.

I really had the chance to test the Fuji X-T1 and it is a great little camera.

The EVF is surprisingly good and it is a lot lighter than the D7100, so will be easier to use with TLS-APO

You may want to look at the Fuji X thread on this forum.

I really had the chance to test the Fuji X-T1 and it is a great little camera.

The EVF is surprisingly good and it is a lot lighter than the D7100, so will be easier to use with TLS-APO

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't considered Fuji (not for any particular reason), so I'll check out that thread.

Ed N

1. Built in lens camera like the Sony RX-100M2.
Pros: big sensor, focus peaking, live histogram, electronic shutter only, AF? (I don't know how useful that will be through scope)
Cons: need to buy DCBII, external EVF expensive, battery life?

2. Micro four thirds camera like Panasonic GX7 (or GH3/GH4)
Pros: big sensor, focus peaking, live histogram, AF if used with lens and DCBII, could be used with my existing TLS-APO saving $$$, has EVF built in
Cons: need to buy DCBII for use with lens, battery life?

3. Keep using D7100, but add external device to add peaking and histogram (HDMI connected recorders or external EVF's made for pro video cameras, or something like Camranger).
Pros: bigger sensor, already own camera
Cons: added complexity, added weight

As a follow up, for cameras like the Sony RX-100M2 and Pana GX7, does the in camera stabilization really help when used on the scope?

Thanks for reading this long post, and I hope to hear some good opinions.
And hopefully others will benefit from any discussion.

Thanks,
Ed N.

I don't think the stabilization system in the camera or in the lens can do anything help once you put your gears on the tripod. I prefer to switch off such things of my camera in digiscoping.

Regarding the size of the sensor, i.e.1/1.7, 1 inch, m43 or aps-c , my opinion is that, the one inch sensor in Nikon 1 system or Sony RX100, is a good compromise for those who demands for quality, speed, size(weight) of carry.

CW

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back