• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scillonian Pelagic (1 Viewer)

MarkHows

Mostly Mammals
Does anyone have any details of the Scillonian Pelagic that they run in August, some mentioned it to me the other day but with no details

Thanks

Mark

The Scillonian Pelagic runs from Penzance in August on a Sunday, usually the second Sunday of the month though this can Vary somewhat; this year it ran on 10th August. The price of a ticket this year was £85.

It is about 14 hours in duration, giving it time to steam a long way out into the Western approaches.

It principally targets Wilsons Petrels, and has a very reliable track record of connecting with them. This year we had at least 3 (and possibly 5) they tend to show well amongst large numbers of Storm Petrels which are attracted to "chum" off the back of the boat.
Other birds regularly seen close to the boat are Sabines Gulls, Bonxies and Arctic Skuas.
"Big" Shearwaters (Corys and Great) are a bit more unpredictable; the numbers in British Waters vary year on year, in years when they are around in numbers they tend to be seen from the trip, in years when they are scarce then probably not.
Sooty Shearwaters are seen in most years.
Of course the Pelagic trip is most famous for the 2001 sighting of Feas Petrel but I suspect that is a bit of a "one-off".
All in all it is a good trip and one which I have travelled on myself on a number of occasions:- The early start and expense can be a bit trying but it is probably the easiest way to connect with Wilsons Petrel, the only other realistic option is to travel on one of the evening boat trips from the Isles of Scilly, but that involves an overnight stay on the Islands.

Michael - for the 30 or so of us who saw it - it was certainly no Gannet. Some very well known twitchers who failed to connect with the bird put that rumour out.

Darrell

I always found it difficult to believe 30 people could get it wrong , for those people who have seen an "Albert" its laughable that anybody could get it confused with Gannet.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back