• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Habicht warranty in the US? (1 Viewer)

I can actually get both the Habicht and the EII now, $999 or $379. Big deal is the Habicht would come with a lifetime warranty and Swarovski support while the EII would be grey market, and though brand new, have no warranty support. I'm still toying with both in I my mind while I wait for things to settle before I really decide.

Get both;)
They complement each other, you wont regret it.

Attachments

• P3174622_jiw_cr.jpg
    P3174622_jiw_cr.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 76
I can actually get both the Habicht and the EII now, $999 or $379. Big deal is the Habicht would come with a lifetime warranty and Swarovski support while the EII would be grey market, and though brand new, have no warranty support. I'm still toying with both in I my mind while I wait for things to settle before I really decide.

If you needed repair work on the EII Cory Suddarth in Oklahoma, who worked with Bill Cook at Captain's Nautical, could fix them for you and you would still be hundreds of dollars ahead.

http://www.suddarthoptical.com/

Bob

Did you end up buying it? I'm thinking about getting a pair in July as a promotion present to myself. Talked to Proudpapa on the phone for a while and he seems a stand up guy. I wish he could match the prices I could get from Germany ($750 on eBay) but I think his prices are set by corporate hq. When buying from him I do get the awesome US warranty that I wouldn't get with units sold directly from Germany. After all the glowing praise associated with Swarovski, I think I'd like to go the authorized retailer route.

I did end up getting a pair of Habichts. I was fortunate to have a co-worker who was going to be in Germany for business, and he brought back a pair for me. I'm not sure what the warranty implications, but when I asked SONA about this, they told me that I would not have trouble getting warranty service for it. I figured that since they have to send these back to Austria anyway regardless of where it was purchased, it would all be the same.

I'm really happy with them. Like you, I was also considering the Nikon E2, and while I think the E2 would have been better bang for the buck, the Habicht is such a timeless classic that I just couldn't resist. To me, it's like buying the binocular equivalent of a '67 Shelby Mustang.

I'm really happy with them. Like you, I was also considering the Nikon E2, and while I think the E2 would have been better bang for the buck, the Habicht is such a timeless classic that I just couldn't resist. To me, it's like buying the binocular equivalent of a '67 Shelby Mustang.

You nailed why the Habicht is so appealing to me.

Swarovski understands that they are not just selling great glass but a "luxury product".
Their customer service people seem to understand this and understand that everyone who has a great experience will be their best form of advertising.
Leupold does pretty much the same.
A friend was in Central America, Costa Rica, on a vacation and nature watching expedition when his Swarovski 8x42's went tango.
He called SONA and they got him a pair of loaners in two days, had his binoculars repaired pretty quickly and back to him so he could use them for the duration of the trip.
Too do that it probably cost SONA almost as much as the binoculars were worth but it made the point about what great customer service is like.
I am sure not everyone gets that kind of service but most do.
To bad Swarovski does not make a lighter weight pair of roof 7x42's or I would be selling off some of my not used optics to buy a pair. (or the 7x42 porro's with a wider field of view)
Art

Australia has no service centre either and everything goes back to Austria so maybe that's how it works everywhere? When I required warranty work recently all I did was to contact the Australian manager and before I knew it I had the latest SV pair sent to me to use whilst my binocs were being fixed. Not only was there no resistance re service and warranty - I was actively encouraged to utilise Swarovski warranty virtually indefinitely into the future. I was ensured that even after 30 years, discretionary and reasonable judgement would be used by Swarovski as they continue to support their product virtually indefinitely.

We all know what it's like to have to deal with a sycophantic sales process followed by resistant service or warranty work for anything..optics, cars, toasters, luxury goods etc...so this was a real eye opener for me.

Australia has no service centre either and everything goes back to Austria so maybe that's how it works everywhere? When I required warranty work recently all I did was to contact the Australian manager and before I knew it I had the latest SV pair sent to me to use whilst my binocs were being fixed. Not only was there no resistance re service and warranty - I was actively encouraged to utilise Swarovski warranty virtually indefinitely into the future. I was ensured that even after 30 years, discretionary and reasonable judgement would be used by Swarovski as they continue to support their product virtually indefinitely.

We all know what it's like to have to deal with a sycophantic sales process followed by resistant service or warranty work for anything..optics, cars, toasters, luxury goods etc...so this was a real eye opener for me.

Welcome to the world of Swarovski!

I can't swing both. How would you compare and contrast the two?

The EII fits my eyey/face better due to the bigger eyepieces. its also more pleasant to the eyes than the brutal clear and harsh Habicht.
OTOH the Habicht gives such a huge amount of fine detail because of this contrast.

i own the EII, have the Habicht currently on loan from Swaro and save up to not having to return it.

Try both and decide for yourself.

I agree with Oetzi, the EII fits my face better and is easier to use straight up. The wider field is really appealing.
The Habicht has it's own special charm. It takes a bit longer to get familiar with but is built to a higher quality level in terms of coating technology and luxury feel. It is an older design but it's faults can be mostly overlooked or worked around.

You can't really go wrong either way. Get the one that is cheaper or easier to acquire or if you are like us you will want both eventually.

Of the two I tend to use the Habicht more often. It is my first choice for day trips and spectating at events. The EII I use more for nature watching especially at closer ranges or in wooded areas.

I enjoy using binoculars but don't think of myself as a birding enthusiast. If I was more serious about birding then I might prefer the Nikon EII mainly because of the wider field and easier focusing.

Still torn, but there is no rush. The EII is less than half the price, but my concern is that EII won't have any service options since it would be a grey market import shipped from Japan. Amazon was able to get someone to sell the EII in the US, but didn't have the muscle to make Nikon offer a warranty here. I'm not hard on binoculars, but I like the safety net if something goes wrong.

Next question. I've never had glasses before but will in a few more years. If I get glasses, do I have to use them with binoculars or can I adjust the binos so I can use them without glasses? Never having needed glasses it just never occurred to me to ask before.

If your going to need glasses just for close up work / reading, which happens as we mature, then you'll be able to use your binos without.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back