• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help!! (1 Viewer)

Kalispera

Hi Andy or anyone who can help,
This will be fairly basic as I'm not the most technical digiscoper.
Equipment used is a Zeiss 85T angled scope with (I think) a 60x20 zoom, plus a Nikon Coolpix 4500. I recently purchased from Eagle Eye the Wing 4500 Bracket plus the Xtend-a-View Pro, plus a cable release and adapter, with one screw.
This worked well the other day when I was pretty pleased with my efforts (I should say OUR efforts, she really does help!!) but today in not too good a light, when focusing on the subject (Wheatear) and 'half' pressing the cable release for focus, the LCD screen goes 'in and out' of focus, you can hear the AF churring away which it does, but its the motion of the LCD thats worrying, it visibly moves from reasonable focus to the blurriest focus and back again.
Anyone any suggestions??
Thanks Don

The autofocus works using something called contrast detection,try aiming at part of the subject that has more contrast/detail in it all your autofocus is doing is it`s trying to find the optimum focus point.

Cheers Steve.

Kalispera said:
Equipment used is a Zeiss 85T angled scope with (I think) a 60x20 zoom, plus a Nikon Coolpix 4500. I recently purchased from Eagle Eye the Wing 4500 Bracket plus the Xtend-a-View Pro, plus a cable release and adapter, with one screw.
This worked well the other day when I was pretty pleased with my efforts (I should say OUR efforts, she really does help!!) but today in not too good a light, when focusing on the subject (Wheatear) and 'half' pressing the cable release for focus, the LCD screen goes 'in and out' of focus, you can hear the AF churring away which it does, but its the motion of the LCD thats worrying, it visibly moves from reasonable focus to the blurriest focus and back again.
Anyone any suggestions??
Thanks Don
Hi Don, Make sure the camera is in macro focus mode (flower symbol) as this seems to stop some of the hunting of the AF B :)

Kalispera said:
Anyone any suggestions??
Thanks Don
Hi Don,
I think the likely culprit has been revealed by others, in that the camera's autofocus need something contrasty to lock on to. Other than directing the camera's active focus point to a contrasty part of the subject, you could resort to using the infinity focus setting on the camera (mountain symbol).

cheers,
Andy

Thanks stevo, Rob and Andy,
Reading many of the threads on this website, I came to the conclusion to use the macro setting, I did'nt particularly understand the reasoning, but now Rob suggests this and Andy suggests infinity.
There will be a good shout for both these suggestions, but which one?
Thanks again, Don

Kalispera said:
Thanks stevo, Rob and Andy,
Reading many of the threads on this website, I came to the conclusion to use the macro setting, I did'nt particularly understand the reasoning, but now Rob suggests this and Andy suggests infinity.
There will be a good shout for both these suggestions, but which one?
Thanks again, Don
I'm suggesting infinity as a last resort, macro should be your primary focus mode for digiscoping..
regards,
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back