• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Great Diving Beetle (1 Viewer)

Tanny

Last night I discovered on my lawn a female, Great Diving Beetle, I had never seen this species before, although Collins Field Guide mentioned this species is the largest and best known. I picked it up and placed it in a small tank in the greenhouse overnight. I at first thought it was a cockroach I knew from Australia but soon saw the difference. A couple of months ago I made myself a small thin tank to put in Tadpoles and other creatures from my goldfish pond and with various colored cards behind I take macro pictures of the creatures with my Fuji Fine-Pix S1 camera. Sadly my little tank is made with white silicone
and is rough as guts, I will be making a new one in the future. I have to do extensive editing to get reasonable pictures with this one. After taking all the pictures I thought I would need I admired the beautiful creature and was delighted to have it as a member of my pond.o:)
"OH GOOD GRIEF"|8.|On reading about the creature later I discovered that it and its larvae are fierce carnivores and can make short work of frogs and newts and if they get into garden ponds they will have the goldfish as well.
"WHAT HAVE I DONE"

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back