• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED50A in a Hide (2 Viewers)

mayoayo

Greetings...I Have an angled ED50A now..So far I am happy with It, but I miss the capability of rotating the scope sideways..I have a 128 fluid head,and I can set the column in my tripod horizontally, but is not very fast to set and a pain in the neck after a while(literally)..I need a new support and I have decided (to go)for one of the small manfrotto tripods..I found the 7322(or is it 7233?)series to be a good deal,either in CF or aluminum..I would decide on the material depending on the price I can found,but for the Head..Would a ball head allow me to a totally horizontal position AND panning ?..How about MODO tripods,with the hybrid joystick style head...?
thanks

Steve..I was thinking about a three way hybrid video-foto, but very often I need to change orientation left -right,getting the scope sideways one or other side..thats why I would like to know about the Ball heads,,,,I can always go to a photo store and try one ,of course....I suspect the ED50 is not a good scope for my use after all....
Steve...I bought and sold a EDIIIA,recently,..very much regret it ,but I am using the money for other things....WHAT A GREAT SCOPE!..I though of mentioning because of your high praise of it..no wonder I am focussing on the ED50 limitations more than in its capabilities

Steve..I was thinking about a three way hybrid video-foto, but very often I need to change orientation left -right,getting the scope sideways one or other side..thats why I would like to know about the Ball heads,,,,I can always go to a photo store and try one ,of course....I suspect the ED50 is not a good scope for my use after all....
Steve...I bought and sold a EDIIIA,recently,..very much regret it ,but I am using the money for other things....WHAT A GREAT SCOPE!..I though of mentioning because of your high praise of it..no wonder I am focussing on the ED50 limitations more than in its capabilities[/QUOT

Yes the ED 60mm is a great spotter, well made. I wish mine was a 82ED and this would be perfect, the little 50ED and IMO the top dog in its price range big spotter. Get some use out of that 50ED you have, I know if you don't we will see you post looking for one again.;) Angled one of course.

Greetings...I Have an angled ED50A now..So far I am happy with It, but I miss the capability of rotating the scope sideways..I have a 128 fluid head,and I can set the column in my tripod horizontally, but is not very fast to set and a pain in the neck after a while(literally)..I need a new support and I have decided (to go)for one of the small manfrotto tripods..I found the 7322(or is it 7233?)series to be a good deal,either in CF or aluminum..I would decide on the material depending on the price I can found,but for the Head..Would a ball head allow me to a totally horizontal position AND panning ?..How about MODO tripods,with the hybrid joystick style head...?
thanks

I'm sure the price and complexity will put you off, but I think what you need is something like this: http://reallyrightstuff.com/Product...CRD-87-Package:-Camera-Rotation-Device&key=it

A more compact and cheaper, but less flexible option would be to use an L shaped quick-release plate: http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=MC-L&type=0&eq=&desc=MC-L:-Universal-L-Plate
I know there are companies that make L-plates to directly fit Manfrotto quick releases, such as found on the 128 head: http://camdapter.com/adapter/l-plate_manfrotto_adapter.html

Since the scope doesn't need the long base that cameras do, you might be better off making your own, more compact, L-plate.

As for using a ballhead: it isn't as nice to use, overall, as a video head, but so long as the ballhead has a panning base (ideally with independent control), it will allow for 90 degree tilt each way and still allow for panning.

And to think, all this trouble because Nikon saved a bit on cost/pricing by not building-in a rotating collar. It's so much easier to do it in the original design, so awkward for the user to do as a retro-fit.

--AP

Last edited:
Yes..I was trying a manfrotto lightweight ball head..484RC ,I think..basic ,one control knob ball head,and worked just fine..better than I thought actually..That is the same model ball head that comes with the new digi Carbon fiber manfrotto tripod (cant remember model number because manfrotto change models every week with those mini-tripods,seems like),but an integrated version..is about 90 euros ,not bad..1.400 gr tripod
I think Ill go for that.

Just a little note about the ball head tripod...I didnt find the manfrotto Carbon fiber 7322CY with the ball head at a good price..The ones I found were either coming from outside the Euro zone ,risking custom duties and taxes , Or were a bit more expensive than I liked, when shipping was added to the total...The photo-video head version was cheaper and easier to find,but not what I wanted..I looked at the aluminum version,but the head didnt have a quick release plate and was integrated, not allowing for the possibility of an upgrade ..
So after looking around a bit, and read some reviews,One from another member in this forum, I went for a Cullmann NANOMAX 260 with a ball head..The head is decent ,not perfect,but works fine with the ED50 mounted. Easy to aim the scope and with the range of movements that I needed...Now I can position the scope sideways ,left or right, in a second..The head has a well designed quick release system, plus can be dettached, so is possible to upgrade to a better model in the future,if I need..seems a well made tripod,perfect for my needs so far. ..1275 grams is exactly what I had in mind for the ED50..Cullmann is a German based company,but so far I didnt find any mention of Where the tripod was made.There is only the German address of the company printed in the box,but I doubt this can be produced in Germany for this price..59 euros shipped from Amazon..

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back