• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 150mm or Canon 70-200 f/4? (1 Viewer)

I was right in the end,
The OP asks for a lens for "compressed landscapes, a bit of sports" and to this end Terry you were most definitely wrong by advocating that a Macro lens would be best suited to this ;););)

p.s. I look forward to seeing your landscapes and action shots from the Macro lens :t:

Last edited:
Best of luck with the Macro lens Steve. Like as already been mentioned, macro photography opens up a whole new world of photo opportunities.
Mind you I personally find true macro very difficult (much, much more difficult than birds and they are difficult enough).How the heck these guys manage to do this focus stacking pics I do not know, I have a job to get one decent shot of a live creature let alone 7 or 8 with different focus points (I often suspect that the subjects are dead !). I am sure you will find macro a good challenge.

Last edited:
The OP asks for a lens for "compressed landscapes, a bit of sports" and to this end Terry you were most definitely wrong by advocating that a Macro lens would be best suited to this ;););)

p.s. I look forward to seeing your landscapes and action shots from the Macro lens :t:

I know what you are saying Roy, but I could read in his post that he really wanted a 150 sigma macro lens. I am very sorry for Crowing and any puns. o:)

Don't take it too serous Roy, its just a hobby

In the future I do want a nice Landscape lens, but again there's so many to choose from and they are expensive

Don't take it too serous Roy, its just a hobby
You are quite right Terry, I have been on this 'craze' for over three years now which is a long time for me (my fads usually last about a year before I move on :-O ). I am starting to take it much to seriously which is worrying - thinking of just getting a G10 or the like for occasional snapping and maybe having a crack at something new (been looking at Canon Pro video cameras 8-P ).

Thanks for the kind words. I agree with you Roy, it definately is tricky - the slightest movement puts the focus out and ruins the picture! I like a challenge though!

When I originally posted this thread I was in a particular mindset, and wanted to be convinced that the 70-200 was the best choice by being told how useful it was - but as Terry correctly guessed, I did really want the macro :-O

Highcountry, you're right about the garden - that's where I've been spending the last few days!

When I originally posted this thread I was in a particular mindset, and wanted to be convinced that the 70-200 was the best choice by being told how useful it was
Ah, if you had said this in the beginning Steve instead of stating the specific purpose you had in mind I would have answered differently. Although I rate the 70-200/4 very highly in optical terms, I rarely use mine as I cannot find a use for it. I already have a 17-40 for landscapes and a Macro lens (which I also rarely use) I originally bought the 70-200/4 and a 1.4tc for birds but when I got the 400/5.6 it became redundant - I ought to sell it I suppose.

Yeah, that was one of the things that was persuading me against it Roy - yes, it fills the focal length gap well, but how much will I use a lens in that gap?

You are quite right Terry, I have been on this 'craze' for over three years now which is a long time for me (my fads usually last about a year before I move on :-O ). I am starting to take it much to seriously which is worrying - thinking of just getting a G10 or the like for occasional snapping and maybe having a crack at something new (been looking at Canon Pro video cameras 8-P ).

Roy, I have whats called a rolling 5 year hobby change, usually have two hobby's going on at the same time, at the moment its
DSLR/Birding/Wildlife, with Model Trains OO layout in garage come games-room, if i went backwards with some of my hobby's they would be

DSLR photography
Birding
Digiscoping
Model Trains
Pinballs
Postcard Collecting
Slot machines/Racing games (Alwins 1950's)
Computers family Tree genealogy
Landrovers 4x4 defender 90 still got that one
Caravaning
American Cars
Silver Collecting
CB Radio Pirate Ham radio
Model Building Ships Aeroplanes
Radio Control Aeroplanes making and Flying
Water Skiing Speed boats
Course Fishing
Shooting Shotguns
Cactus growing and Collecting
Pilot Flying Lessons (never made it) because of hay-fever)
Cars Cars Cars in General

Basically each hobby had to fund the next hobby, well thats what I told the wife, if I sold up the model trains set
layout i could buy a new 500 f4 and tripod but I am just getting to old to carry it around just like you Roy :-O

I think a landscape lens, and a Fisheye they would be lighter......

BTW I can say I have never been bored.........

Last edited:
Roy, I have whats called a rolling 5 year hobby change, usually have two hobby's going on at the same time, at the moment its
DSLR/Birding/Wildlife, with Model Trains OO layout in garage come games-room, if i went backwards with some of my hobby's they would be

DSLR photography
Birding
Digiscoping
Model Trains
Pinballs
Postcard Collecting
Slot machines/Racing games (Alwins 1950's)
Computers family Tree genealogy
Landrovers 4x4 defender 90 still got that one
Caravaning
American Cars
Silver Collecting
CB Radio Pirate Ham radio
Model Building Ships Aeroplanes
Radio Control Aeroplanes making and Flying
Water Skiing Speed boats
Course Fishing
Shooting Shotguns
Cactus growing and Collecting
Pilot Flying Lessons (never made it) because of hay-fever)
Cars Cars Cars in General

Basically each hobby had to fund the next hobby, well thats what I told the wife, if I sold up the model trains set
layout i could buy a new 500 f4 and tripod but I am just getting to old to carry it around just like you Roy :-O

I think a landscape lens, and a Fisheye they would be lighter......

BTW I can say I have never been bored.........
LOL that's quite a list Terry, I do a lot of family Tree genealogy at the moment (1911 census release has kept me busy for a month or two, updating my trees). My last big fad was playing competitive duplicate bridge.
I do find that I need some retail therapy every so often by the way of a biggish item every six months or so and I am overdo at the moment :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back