• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Could it handle an extender? (1 Viewer)

Nyctidromus

Mexico
Hello everyone, I’ve recently acquired a Canon 6D Mark ii and am planning on getting a Sigma 150-600 lens. The fact that it’s a full frame will of course imply a limitation in the zoom’s reach, which will be quite hard to get accustomed to since I’ve been using a P900 for a year. Now, everyone’s heard that teleconverters shouldn’t be used because they take up too much light, but this camera’s supposed to be quite exceptional in its light capabilities. I’ve taken pictures of near-complete darkness at decently high shutter speeds and the pics end up looking as if they were taken on a sunny afternoon. I’ve heard that teleconverters work better than cropping when used on prime lenses because of their capacity for light absorption. But couldn’t the same be said for a 6DMii? If so, which teleconverter or set of teleconverters would you recommend, and what would their limitations be? Thank you all very much, have a great day!

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

I'm sure you will get answers/suggestions shortly ;)

I use a 1.4 teleconverter (tc) on my Sigma 150-600. You will lose some light, 1 or 2 f stops, so clearly it is better on a bright day. Because the effective focal length is 1.4 X more, it is easy to get more camera shake. I nearly always use a tripod when using the tc. If you can borrow/hire you can check for yourself. I have no regrets buying mine, Sigma say that you should only use their tc, not another brand.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back