• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Warbler? (1 Viewer)

cece4

P1010229.jpg

Thanks so much...

I dont know, it seems awful small to be an Oriole..The ones we have here are very bright orange and black and I actually havent seen any around in awhile..I thought a Kingbird or flycatcher (we do have alot in our nearby trees) but they are a bigger bird as well.This little guy is about 4 inches long.About the size of a sparrow.

Ive been researching because it just seems so wierd that this could be an oriole, its so small and completely different color.
BUT, Ive seen on some forums debates as to whether or not a juvenile bird is a warbler or an oriole.Ive looked at pics and they are incredibly similiar...What is the major difference between the two?
Is there some little difference I can find that would give us a definite answer or are you all 100 percent sure?

Ive already been caring for this baby for a week.Its completely fledged but wont eat on his own.It has a splayed leg and is just now getting his balance and strength enough to sit on a branch.Ive consulted a vet and she is helping me but cant be sure of the identity either.

It's a young female oriole; I suspect a female Orchard Oriole. Nothing unusual at all about its colors. Here's what the adult female looks like: http://www.wunderground.com/data/wximagenew/l/laumakani/275.jpg

They are the smallest oriole found in the US, so often mistaken for a warbler. You can tell it is an oriole and not a warbler by how thick the bill is (especially at the base) and how thick the legs are, among other things.

Best,
Jim

Check out the colour of the legs and the shape of the bill. I can't say with 100% certainty, but I'm pretty sure it's a juvenile oriole of some type. The tail hasn't grown in yet, so it looks small.
Here's a slightly older baltimore oriole for comparison.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3228/2615973405_fe08ae64ed.jpg?v=0
You still may want to find a bird rehab place, as I think it's illegal in some states to keep wild birds without a permit.

Scott

Oh, I see Jim got there first, with an even better suggestion as to which oriole.

Thanks so much, we are going with the oriole...It really does make sense now.When we first got her she pooped mulberries.No mistaking that purple stuff.We are hoping for her to be strong enough soon to let go(not saying I havent gotten just a wee bit attached to her though).I surely dont want to keep her.Ive rehabbed reptiles off an on for the last 10yrs so Im not totally unfamiliar with the responsibilitys that go with rescuing a wild animal.
But other then dealing with my own pet birds I only have minimal experience with birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back