• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Holkham & Warham Greens, Norfolk (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Holkham & Warham Greens, Norfolk

Another day & another trip to one of the further flung areas in Norfolk which I can't usually get to.

Adding to the several White-fronted Geese along Lady Annes Drive, the throngs of 1000's of Pink-footed & Brent Geese, plus various common waterfowl (Wigeon, Pintail, Shoveler, Lapwing, Teal, Gadwall) made a noisy spectacle in the marshy fields overlooked by the George Washington Hide. Prior to this I'd already had an approachable Little Grebe & 2 very handsome male Goldeneye so having been here half hour or so, it was turning out to be pretty good already.

On leaving the hide a walk along the edge of the pine woods was beginning to get a little birdless but that soon changed when id-ing a call as a Goldcrest turned into a real achievement when I actually made the visual id as well. Really happy now. Just before the path turns toward the dunes I set up scope for a while and steadily increased my list & was even happier when a Merlin came whizzing though and settled on a fence post.

During the couple of mile walk back along the dunes with the tide well out I added various shore birds (Sanderling, Oystercatcher, Dunlin, Turnstone, Grey Plover, gulls ) before noticing several small birds drop into an area of wet 'grass' near the viewing area. As Twite was on my wish list and this being the right area by all accounts this grabbed my attention and soon after a flock of ~15 small birds flitted around about before dropping back again. To be honest I'm not sure I'd id them from that view alone but by a process of elimination / habitat / call / id book concluded the id.

''You should have been here 5 mins ago - they've flown off towards Wells now'' was the answer to '' seen any Shore Larks about ?'' ... so I sat down for a cup of tea, a sort out some notes and see what turns up. About 100 Common Scoter were quite near the shoreline, an overflying Curlew, a Meadow Pipit and that was about it for about 20 minutes, but then a group of about 10 birds flew 'though' my scope and landed in the wet grass ... Oh, very nice !! ... Shore Larks indeed, quite hard to see but showing just enough to pick them out surely.

On then to Holkham Hall, and after a look at the herds of deer generally lazing about under the trees i couldn't find the Tawny Owl thats often reported near the monument but did add Treecreeper, Gt Spotted Woodpecker and a few more common birds. And a very nice walk.

Off then for the final leg - Warham Greens for the evening roost .... 5+ ringtail Hen Harrier, 1 Kestrel, 34 Little Egret (in various groups, inc one flock of 12, all heading toward Holkham), 5 Grey Partridge & 3 Red-legged Partridge in the fields behind. And 2 Hares

Got 50 species in total .... Another good day.

Another impressive day by the sounds of it Carlos. A loooong while since I've seen any Shore Larks - they're 'Bobby Dazzlers' all right.

I have been told that a lot of shooting took place and the birds have relocated. They are still to be re-found but are being looked for. I don't know how true this statement was but it came from a fairly reliable person that I meet from time tio time in Norfolk.

They were normally found in the Cedar trees to the right of the monument (as you looked towards the lake).

Yes that was the tree, there were several birders there so wasn't just me. No doubt they'll turn up somewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back