• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

delaware, Blue-gray Gnatcatchers! (1 Viewer)

they showed up on the scene a few days ago, then the next day suddenly there were ruby crowned kinglets. what birds will be next? whoever predicts correctly will get a prize.

they showed up on the scene a few days ago, then the next day suddenly there were ruby crowned kinglets. what birds will be next? whoever predicts correctly will get a prize.

Yep. Had a kinglet outside my window yesterday, a gnatcatcher today. Different kind of migrants though. Kinglet is leaving to breed up north. Gnatcatcher is arriving to breed here. Have heard both singing however.

Best,
Jim

Perhaps the Golden-crowned Kinglets? They are never far behind the arrival of the Ruby-crowned for me.

Regarding the sequence of migration for other small migrating birds in the mid-Atlantic region, Pine Warblers started first last month, earlier this month were the Yellow-throated Warblers, and Louisiana Waterthrushes. We are in the midst of Palm Warbler migration, which started in earnest about a week and a half ago, but will start to peter out shortly. The ones that are just starting in small numbers now are Northern Parula and Common Yellowthroat. Next week we should be getting the start for Blue-headed Vireo, Black-and-white Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler, and Yellow Warbler.

And our winter friends, the Yellow-rumped Warblers, should be leaving us for northerly breeding grounds during this month and the beginning of next. (Golden-crowned Kinglets should be almost gone now; according to my refs most leave before RCKI).

Then, beginning the last week of this month, all hell breaks loose. ;) You could start seeing most of the migrants, including orioles, tanagers, and flycatchers. But some will come later in May, such as Canada Warbler, and Mourning Warbler and Blackpoll will come towards the end of migration

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Look for the yellow bellied sapsucker, it left Tennessee two weeks ago.
Wot's the prize, I wanna cookie!!

man, i haven't seen warblers yet, i need to go somewhere that doesn't have runners and fisherman and cars all over i guess!

the prize - if you can guess which migrant im gonna see next then ill have a cookie basket sent to your house using frequent player points that i have lying around in my PokerStars account haha.

Matt

man, i haven't seen warblers yet, i need to go somewhere that doesn't have runners and fisherman and cars all over i guess!

I wouldn't be too concerned Matt. It's an annual rite of spring in our area that in early and mid-April eternally optimistic birders venture out hoping to see lots of colorful migrants and come back disappointed!

Also, two of the earliest warbler migrants I mentioned, Pine Warbler and Louisiana Waterthrush, tend to be limited to specific habitats (stands of tall conifers and wooded areas with flowing streams, respectively), so you need to be in the right types of habitat. (And Yellow-throated Warblers are just uncommon around here). Also, not sure how adept you are at birding by ear, but knowing the songs of these two species makes it much easier to locate them.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
I'm not adept at birding by ear but I'm learning lots and lots of noises that the common birds make so when I go out in the woods I pause frequently and try to dissect the sounds I hear and usually go, "Ok those 37 sounds are all cardinals, the group of obnoxious noises over there in the brush is chickadees, that whistling is a tufted titmouse, those short zees are white-throated sparrows and oh! what is that odd noise??"
And then I try to find the source of the odd noise lol. so I don't really know any of the warbler's sounds but I'm to the point where whenever I hear a sound I don't know it is almost always being made by a bird that is uncommon to rare for me to see. So knowing just the common noises seems to be working well for me.

Today I got my season pass for the Delaware state parks and went to a more secluded part of the park. While listening for unfamiliar sounds I heard a funky "zee zee zee zeeEEEEE" kind of noise over and over again but couldn't find the source so I continued along. After a bit I looped around to above where I started and the zee zeeee-ing was still going on; this time I spotted it, a Northern Parula!! My first warbler of the year :) And It was a friendly one too It stayed with me for 5 or 10 minutes while I fired off 100 or so shots.

Here is one. (Not bad for handholding a 300mm lens and shooting a bird that you can enclose in your fist!)

Attachments

• Northern_Parula_xyz_wcc_po.jpg
    Northern_Parula_xyz_wcc_po.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 42
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back