• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leica HD Ultravid PLUS (1 Viewer)

The only thing that could induce me to sell my 8x32 UV HD's would be a 7x32 UV HD+...

Well, that ain't ever going to happen, so it looks like you're stuck with the 8x32 UV HD! Ah, you poor guy. ;)

I'm not sure if it's the "old fart factor" or what, but it seems that there are a lot of fans of 7x bins on BF and nyet a lot of quality 7x bins to choose from.

First the 7x30 SLC got dropped, and it was quite popular with hunters, which go figure since in hunting magazines and in hunting stores 10x seems to be favored. Then Swaro dropped its 7x42 SLC, Meopta has no plans to release a 7x42 HD (according to Meopta Man), and Zeiss dumped the 7x42 from its HT Victory line-up.

At least on BF, it seems that more people are clamoring for 7x, but we are "the voice of one crying out in the wilderness" and nobody's listening.

<B>

Perhaps all the more reason to snap up a HD+ 7x42 as it could easily be the last in line...
While we're at it, how about a Swarovski Habicht porro 7x35... or even a Leica perger 7x35 ?
Who knows - shalln't hold my breath!

Perhaps all the more reason to snap up a HD+ 7x42 as it could easily be the last in line...
While we're at it, how about a Swarovski Habicht porro 7x35... or even a Leica perger 7x35 ?
Who knows - shalln't hold my breath!

This is a Leica thread, but don't forget about the Nikon EDG, they
are also Alpha class, they also have a 7x42. Be sure you try one of
these before you buy.

Jerry

At least on BF, it seems that more people are clamoring for 7x, but we are "the voice of one crying out in the wilderness" and nobody's listening.

<B>

The next time you go to a birding / optics show / fair, stroll around all the manufacturers attending and ask them about 7x sales.

Then send me a $, £, € for every time you hear the words : "Everybody loves them but nobody buys them".

Thank you.

Lee

The next time you go to a birding / optics show / fair, stroll around all the manufacturers attending and ask them about 7x sales.

Then send me a $, £, € for every time you hear the words : "Everybody loves them but nobody buys them".

You can say that again. I heard that from every single of the big manufacturers I asked at a trade fair last winter.

Hermann

I've purchased four (7x) and sold two (7x). There is another (7x) on my short list .... however, binoculars are currently not top priority.... but, this may change.

CG

Please would you provide us a more specific description of your treasures? ;)

OK... a Swift Eaglet 7x36, the Zen-Ray 7x36, an Opticron 7x36 BGA Classic, and a 7x42 Nikon EDG. I gave up the swift shortly after acquiring the Opticron and returned the zen-ray shortly after purchasing it.

I've been lurking on the Leica for years ... but have yet to find one in town to experience hands (eyes) on. |:(|

CG

OK... a Swift Eaglet 7x36, the Zen-Ray 7x36, an Opticron 7x36 BGA Classic, and a 7x42 Nikon EDG. I gave up the swift shortly after acquiring the Opticron and returned the zen-ray shortly after purchasing it.

I've been lurking on the Leica for years ... but have yet to find one in town to experience hands (eyes) on. |:(|

CG

As my tightrope walking great grandfather, The Great Farini, said the last time he crossed Niagara Falls:

Lower is Beeeeeeeeeeeedder.....

<B>

Not sure if this was posted before. It seems Leica likes to snoop on the forums:

http://www.ornithomedia.com/pratique/equipement/jumelles-leica-ultravid-plus-dit-web-01763.html

I had a couple weeks of French in college, so let me translate the pertinent parts:

We traveled several websites and forums in different countries (Orniwelt.de, Birdforum.net, Juelich-bonn.com, Binocularreviews.org, Dutchbirding.nl, huntinglife.com and Ornithomedia.com) and we read the discussions and Articles speaking binoculars Leica Ultravid HD-Plus since September 2014. We have identified the most significant comments and opinions and / or frequently recurring problems with our company, namely, that our customer service stinks ("le Peu") because our reps are sometimes arrogant and slow in responding to customer requests.

Accordingly, we have replaced our German-born customer service reps with Canadians, because they are internationally known for their courtesy and informality (no "Herr" for Canadians in the workplace, they use their first names - Justin, Neve, Hume, or Shania - whether they are the janitor or the CEO).

We hope this change will please our customers, eh?

<B>

Last edited:
I tried the HD+ 10x42 yesterday for some time. The view was relaxed and easy on the eyes. It was under mid day sun and cannot speak about lowlight performance. I could't notice CA any I would say the view was as bright and eye popping as the SV, though not flat. The Leica is just the right size for me to hold as it gets buried into my hands and I can hold it without shakes. The beautiful Leica body and construction is something else. Better than the SV IMO. The focuser was smooth and the focus/diopter combo makes the surface area large. I can use both my index fingers to pull both ways to focus fast.

If there is not any significant improvement from HD to HD+, buying any available HD at hundreds of $'s less will be a bargain.

MAGAZINE REVIEW OF THE LEICA ULTRAVID HD-Plus 10X 42 mm.

The Product Preview in the August issue of American Rifleman is an "Editor's Choice" review of the Leica Ultravid HD-Plus 10X 42 mm. See page 34.

It is a very positive review and it is based on a press release from Leica Marketing which discusses upgrades like "high temperature plasma coatings, deeper eyecup click-stops and teflon discs in the focus mechanism. What the Editor liked was the 10x42s optical performance and its small size and weight and Schott HT lenses and prisms. The Editor mentioned their "titanium body and magnesium center stem" which I think he got backwards. I believe they have die cast magnesium bodies.

Bob

Last edited:
8 and 10 x 32 HD Plus

The programme for Birdfair mentions that the Plus versions of 8 and 10 x 32 will be available at the show - 21-23 August.

MAGAZINE REVIEW OF THE LEICA ULTRAVID HD-Plus 10X 42 mm.

The Product Preview in the August issue of American Rifleman is an "Editor's Choice" review of the Leica Ultravid HD-Plus 10X 42 mm. See page 34.

It is a very positive review and it is based on a press release from Leica Marketing which discusses upgrades like "high temperature plasma coatings, deeper eyecup click-stops and teflon discs in the focus mechanism. What the Editor liked was the 10x42s optical performance and its small size and weight and Schott HT lenses and prisms. The Editor mentioned their "titanium body and magnesium center stem" which I think he got backwards. I believe they have die cast magnesium bodies.

Bob

Yeah I read the article. Really impressed me. Leica says they have made "200 innovative changes" from the HD to the HD Plus. For sure, and we all ready knew this, they are among the smallest 42mm binocular out there. Naturally the 10X42 that received the "Editor's Choice" is logical since American Rifleman tends to be focused(pun intended) to big game hunters.

Can you post a link for this? I have read Lecia made 200 changes when the HD model came out years back.

It is in the current issue. I haven't been able to find a link. Here is a quote from the article, it starts with the 1st sentence:

"I admit I was stumped to read that "200 innovative changes" had been made to the new Leica Ultravid HD-Plus. Previous Ultravids already were among the best, and since you don't incorporate electronics (like a rangefinder or ballistic calculator), how in the world can you improve them 200 times over? When I posed that question to Leica's marketing boss, Terry Moore, he grimaced, "We'll send you an email." "

"The press release arrived soon, but listed far fewer than 200 changes. Later I'd learn about such upgrades as plasma lens coatings, deeper eyecup click-stops and the addition of Teflon discs to ensure the focus mechanism remains smooth and functional to -25º C. What Leica chose to crow about, instead, was exactly what jumped out when we received an Ultravid HS-Plus 10X 42mm for testing: Despite optical performance that's better than ever these binoculars are the smallest and lightest in their class. That's a big deal to extreme big-game hunters, big enough to justify pricing that tops $2000.00."

The 3rd paragraph talks about the Schott HT lenses and prisms and glass with calcium flouride to correct CA and its higher light transmission and truer color fidelity etc.

The 4th paragraph begins: "And yet my 10X 42mm test unit was barely larger than many 32mm compacts. At 4.72" x2.68" x5.79" and 26.5 ozs., the German-made Leicas are at least a half-inch shorter and 3 ozs. lighter than competing models from Zeiss and Swarovski." . .......

The article is only 4 paragraphs long.

Bob

Last edited:
Thanks Bob. I just ordered a Leica Ultravid HD 10x42. The savings over the HD Plus were significant. I am sure the HD+ is better than HD, but they look exactly the same. I did compare SV, SF and UV personally and found that Ultravid suited me best. The real + is they are gorgeous to look at.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back