• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Now the SE is no more how long does the EII have ? (1 Viewer)

Torview

I had no intention of buying another bin any time soon, but now the news from Nikon has me worried, and I`m feeling the urge to grab an 8x30 EII pretty soon.

Is Nikon still making the E IIs? I thought there was just new old stock floating around at a few shops? Maybe that is a misconception found only on my side of the pond.

I took it that "being sold" and "being manufactured" were two different things. Maybe that was my error.

I asked Mike Freiberg about the future of the EII when the SE's discontinuation was announced, but he never responded. Logic would dictate that if the SEs were discontinued and they were more popular than the EII, enough that they were still sold in the U.S. on special order, it's likely that the EII was also discontinued.

Amazon UK has one left in stock:

Nikon 8x30 EII

OTOH, perhaps the reason the EII was only sold in Asia and Europe is that they were more popular there. I remember a BF member from Hong Kong, who has a fabulous collection of porros including a green, rubber armored IF EP 8x30 Habicht, wrote that porros were very popular in China. Ironic since that's where most roofs are made today!

Brock

Clifton Cameras in the UK are advertising them as in stock for next day dispatch, although they`re not the cheapest price here.

The E II's are available in Japan. Amazon over there has both sizes listed.

The US famous auction site has over 20 - 8x30's from Japan sellers.
Only 2 of the 10x35.

Jerry

Clifton Cameras in the UK are advertising them as in stock for next day dispatch, although they`re not the cheapest price here.

One dealer on eBay US is selling the 8x30 EII for $495, the other for $699, a $100 less than the going price for the SE now. I didn't count how many they had, Jerry said 20. Two weeks ago, there was only one 8x30 EII for sale on eBay. Not sure if this means dealers are dumping them now that the SE has been discontinued since the EII is the next best thing, and in some ways, better.

A buyer had a recent ad on Astromart looking for an 8x32 SE. He had just sold his SE for just over $400 but apparently hadn't heard about the SEs being discontinued and had seller's remorse when he did. I wonder how much he got skinned for his second sample?

Funny, this sudden interest in "old technology." I guess you don't know what you got until you lose it.

Brock

Last edited:
Well I`v just ordered a brand new EII, I have`nt looked through one for a good 18 months or so but I know its probably my all time favourite binocular, I remember posting way back when I joined this excellent forum that I could`nt conceive of any roof at any price that could provide the unique view from this gem.

I`v been using my 7x42 Bga all Winter and only recently brought my SE out from storage for a trip to Minsmere the other week now that the weather and light levels have improved.

It was quite a shock to be reminded just how much more the 3d view of a top porro adds to my enjoyment, and frankly even though the Opticron is a fine binocular Its going away until probably November now.

Well I`v just ordered a brand new EII, I have`nt looked through one for a good 18 months or so but I know its probably my all time favourite binocular, I remember posting way back when I joined this excellent forum that I could`nt conceive of any roof at any price that could provide the unique view from this gem.

I`v been using my 7x42 Bga all Winter and only recently brought my SE out from storage for a trip to Minsmere the other week now that the weather and light levels have improved.

It was quite a shock to be reminded just how much more the 3d view of a top porro adds to my enjoyment, and frankly even though the Opticron is a fine binocular Its going away until probably November now.

The first time I looked through a Nikon 8x32 LX, the view reminded me of the lack of linear perspective found in pre-Renaissance paintings. What was particularly peculiar was the way tree lines in a distance seemed to butt up against each other rather than being separated by space in between as they look through porros or naked eye. Flatland.

Unlike the chickens who adapted to the upside down world through inverted prisms, I never adapted to Flatland.

Aesthetics aside, I find that the 3-D view of porros also helps me find birds easier since they stand out better against their background.

Others differ with this opinion and find the 3-D effect distracting because objects that are closer to them such as tree branches are more noticeable. I can understand what they are talking about, but somehow I've managed to train myself to look beyond those objects to the depth where I'm trying to find birds, and when I do, they "pop" out from the background better with porros, making them easier to spot.

It's only at close range, below 10-15 ft, that I appreciate roofs more since the stereoscopic effect doesn't break down like it does in porros, resulting in overlapping images, so it allows for a more comfortable viewing experience.

Brock

Last edited:
The SE is still Available !

The demise of the SE has been premature.

I check on the availability of this model occasionally, and they
are available in all 3 sizes in the US.

The sellers that are showing these for sale that I have found are Adorama, and B&H,
2 large NY, sellers. They may be on backorder but show availability.

Prices are up over what they were selling for a couple of years ago.

Good news, so get them while you can. ;)

Jerry

The demise of the SE has been premature.

I check on the availability of this model occasionally, and they
are available in all 3 sizes in the US.

The sellers that are showing these for sale that I have found are Adorama, and B&H,
2 large NY, sellers. They may be on backorder but show availability.

Prices are up over what they were selling for a couple of years ago.

Good news, so get them while you can. ;)

Jerry

According to Mike Freiberg, it's "mature."

Mike: "definitely discontinued"

Brock

The EII arrived early today (day off for me) so I`v been able to go out on quite a nice day here as it turned out.

The serial number is 810... and it definitely outperforms my 500... SE in terms of contrast and overall clarity.

Really blown away at how good the EII is, surely an all time classic and maybe contender for (as good as it gets ?).

Big four then now ? ;)

I`v always liked Nikon optics, however good they are though I doubt they`ll ever be ranked alongside the big three with the masses as they are with a generous portion of this forum.

Tough choice coming my way as I doubt I`ll keep all my current binoculars, and as the porro`s are my preference I might sell on my Bga 7x42 and keep the EII and SE.

I`v always liked Nikon optics, however good they are though I doubt they`ll ever be ranked alongside the big three with the masses as they are with a generous portion of this forum.

Tough choice coming my way as I doubt I`ll keep all my current binoculars, and as the porro`s are my preference I might sell on my Bga 7x42 and keep the EII and SE.

That's what I did or am still in the process of doing, selling my other bins and keeping my SE and EII. I had the black body 8x and 10x EIIs, and the contrast was better in the black body versions than my older gray body EII, a lot like my 550xxx SE, though not as big a step up as it was from the even older 501 SE I had, which was considerably behind in coatings (about 13-15 years). So you could upgrade your SE, too, with the same quality of coatings as your BB EII, if you can find a 550 or 551 at a price you are willing to pay.

Brock

Brock, I may well look for as late an SE as possible, the improvement in contrast between my new EII and old SE is quite dramatic.

I have the feeling Nikon are edging away from all the Porros.
The EII is in my mind a beter binocular than the SE as it has a wider FOV.
The SE is brighter and has best edge sharpness but the EII is the Porro king for me.

I have the feeling Nikon are edging away from all the Porros.
The EII is in my mind a beter binocular than the SE as it has a wider FOV.
The SE is brighter and has best edge sharpness but the EII is the Porro king for me.

Agreed. The EII gives a view that is, on the "Pleasing-to-the-eye" scale, unbeatable. It´s sweet spot is large enough to compete with the edge-sharp FOV of the SE. They are both superb binoculars, just different, but if I could only keep one, it would be the EII (I think).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back