• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x30 Eii Equivalent Replacement (2 Viewers)

ukorim

My 7 year old 8x30 Eii's developed a collimation problem six months ago so I returned them to Nikon UK under the 10 year warranty.
However, this has been quite drawn out due to supply of parts and after 3 months I had an email saying spare part had arrived but turned out to have a fault so another part had to be ordered from Tokyo. It's now 6 months so I spoke to Nikon today who said they may consider offering me a replacement equivalent pair of binoculars (I don't think they have new stock of the Eii).

So, apart from another Eii, what in your opinion would be an suitable equivalent? I was thinking of the Monarch HG but on paper they are a lot more expensive so I'm not sure they would stretch to that.

Thanks

In my opinion the Monarch HG is the only bin Nikon makes at the moment that would be a suitable replacement .
I had both of the E2's and ended up replacing both of them with the MHG 8x42 . I needed a more eyeglass friendly binocular and the MHG was it . I am happy with the MHG 's , no compaints . I do miss the E2's with their wider fov , ergonomics and the retro look .
I never had a chance to compare side by side but from memory I can say the E2's and the Monarch HG equally pleased me with their view quality .

Last edited:
The only thing that would replace the E2 is the Habicht 8x30 W. The HG doesn't have the high transmission or the 3D view of the porro's. I would take an HG as a replacement and then sell it and buy a Habicht 8x30 W. In my opinion, the Habicht 8x30 W has about the best view of any binocular including the alpha roofs because of it's super high transmission of almost 96% and the 3D effect of the porro. The Habicht 8x30 W is superior to the E2 because it is brighter because of the higher transmission, and its more neutral color profile, with the E2 being darker, warmer and more reddish. The Habicht just sparkles in the daylight more than any other binocular I have seen because of its sensational transmission. I am not saying the Habicht is the best birding binocular. Far from it. It has a tight focuser, small eye cups and can show glare in certain situations. But a Bino Bandit can help with the glare and the small eye cups, and if you can tolerate the focuser it has the best sheer optics and view of any binocular I have seen. For all around birding, an alpha 32 mm roof prism is probably best for most birders. Once I compared a huge, heavy Swarovski SLC 8x56 to a Habicht 8x30 W in the daytime, and it really surprised me, but I personally preferred the view through the Habicht. It was almost brighter in the daytime because of the higher transmission, it had that 3D porro view and there was that magic sparkle. In low light, there is no doubt the SLC 8x56 is brighter than the Habicht, but not in the daytime. I returned the SLC 8x56 the next day.

Last edited:
If there is only a collimation problem, I am sure there are suitable repair facilities in the UK who could provide collimation service. That is to say if you want to keep them, otherwise ask Nikon for an HG, but they could likely give you an M7 as a replacement.
I doubt if Nikon has any EDG's in inventory. If they can't fix your EDG they replace it with an HG.

Nikon in the EU is different to Nikon in the USA, and I believe the former is better.

My 7 year old 8x30 Eii's developed a collimation problem six months ago so I returned them to Nikon UK under the 10 year warranty.
However, this has been quite drawn out due to supply of parts and after 3 months I had an email saying spare part had arrived but turned out to have a fault so another part had to be ordered from Tokyo. It's now 6 months so I spoke to Nikon today who said they may consider offering me a replacement equivalent pair of binoculars (I don't think they have new stock of the Eii).

So, apart from another Eii, what in your opinion would be an suitable equivalent? I was thinking of the Monarch HG but on paper they are a lot more expensive so I'm not sure they would stretch to that.

Thanks
The only suitable equivalent is an E II or a Habicht 8x30. Forget about Monarchs or other nice binoculars which are in no way equivalent.

Really, I do not think Nikon will replace the EII with a Habicht as a suitable replacement, so why even suggest it?.
All the OP needs to do is ask Nikon what they plan to replace it with, then cross the bridge.

the E2 being darker, warmer and more reddish.
I don't think that's true for those with the latest coatings. To me they seem very bright and the colour balance seems very neutral to my eyes. There's nothing reddish about the view and neither can I second the impression of them having a warm colour balance. I do not doubt what you see through your sample, Dennis. I just think that the new coatings make quite a difference.

That's one reason why I'd ask for a brand new set of E2s first. The other reason is that there's little reason to expect them to offer a replacement that is three times as expensive. And a 500 quid roof would not be an equivalent replacement.

Hi,

I'm a bit astonished how a collimation problem would necessitate the use of spare parts unless sth went seriously wrong with the adjustment...

If they offer you an MHD (which I doubt), take it, try it and if you still yearn for that porro view, sell it and get a porro... you should be able get another pair of E2 or maybe SE for what you get... maybe even a used Habicht if you must... but I would not consider an 8x30 Habicht... maybe a 10x40 if I didn't have the SE in that format...

Joachim

HG 8x30 and E2 8x30 are two different binoculars. But that doesn't mean that one is better than another. They heve different qualities. One has a slightly larger field of view and a slightly better clarity in the center with 3D pop. Another has larger and more comfortable eyepieces, and a more compact and durable body. Everyone chooses as they wish. I have both and I like both of them for what they have. I noticed that the brightness is similar in both.
For rough terrain and extreme weather conditions I choose HG 8x30, and for more static observations I choose E2 8x30. HG is more versatile and E2 has a more spectacular porro image!

Last edited:
I don't think that's true for those with the latest coatings. To me they seem very bright and the colour balance seems very neutral to my eyes. There's nothing reddish about the view and neither can I second the impression of them having a warm colour balance. I do not doubt what you see through your sample, Dennis. I just think that the new coatings make quite a difference.

That's one reason why I'd ask for a brand new set of E2s first. The other reason is that there's little reason to expect them to offer a replacement that is three times as expensive. And a 500 quid roof would not be an equivalent replacement.
The E2's are bright. It is just that the Habicht's are brighter, and that is probably the biggest advantage of the Habicht's. The E2's do have a bigger FOV, better eye cups and an easier focuser. You have to decide what is more important to you. For all out quality of view, the Habicht's are hard to beat by anything.

HG 8x30 and E2 8x30 are two different binoculars. But that doesn't mean that one is better than another. They heve different qualities. One has a slightly larger field of view and a slightly better clarity in the center with 3D pop. Another has larger and more comfortable eyepieces, and a more compact and durable body. Everyone chooses as they wish. I have both and I like both of them for what they have. I noticed that the brightness is similar in both.
For rough terrain and extreme weather conditions I choose HG 8x30, and for more static observations I choose E2 8x30. HG is more versatile and E2 has a more spectacular porro image!
It sounds like you like the ergonomics and waterproofness of the HG, but prefer the view through the E2. For the view, a good porro like the E2 or Habicht is hard to beat.

Hi,

I'm a bit astonished how a collimation problem would necessitate the use of spare parts unless sth went seriously wrong with the adjustment...

If they offer you an MHD (which I doubt), take it, try it and if you still yearn for that porro view, sell it and get a porro... you should be able get another pair of E2 or maybe SE for what you get... maybe even a used Habicht if you must... but I would not consider an 8x30 Habicht... maybe a 10x40 if I didn't have the SE in that format...

Joachim
Why not an 8x30 Habicht? Just curious.

Why not an 8x30 Habicht? Just curious.

Tried one when I met a fellow birder. The light was admittedly difficult but the glare with the 8x30 Habicht made it kinda unusable in that situation (looking in the opposite direction was fine, but alas, no birds there) and the focus drive was as stiff as can be imagined on a cold winter morning - the latter problem is of course common with modern Habichts - they might get smoother over time while they loose their waterproofing though.
I had the SE 10x42 with me that morning and it did just fine...

Joachim

Not to chime in and offer the same as everyone else...but honestly there is no Nikon equivalent to an Eii.

MHG...i don't think so

Make damn sure you get them fixed and get them back. If they can't fix them get them back anyways and get them fixed on your own. The only other bins in the same league are the Habicht as stated and thats not an option for obvious reasons.

Hi,

Joachim
I assumed it was a collimation problem but Nikon service told me they needed replacement parts and didn't expand on that.
I also have some 10x42 SE so I will still have the porro view :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back