• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rocket Blower (1 Viewer)

Consider the Arctic Butterfly (by visible dust) as a complement or alternative to a rocket blower. I've recently bought one - and am v impressed so far.

I......have ordered a Rocket Blower from Warehouse Express over here.

Adrian

Have now received and used the Rocket Blower from WE and "before" and "after" photos of a clear blue sky taken at f22 show a marked improvement after cleaning. So, at the price of £7-99 I would recommend it, certainly for removing "unstuck" particles.

Adrian

Thank you everyone for the help.
JCL considered the Arctic Butterfly, but finally decided to stay the course with the Rocket Blowers. Ordered last night from BH Photo should be here sometime next week.
I appreciate all the responses in this matter.
Lisa

What are you two doing (or not doing!) with your 350D to keep them clean? Keeping them in the original, unopened packaging in a hermetic sealed cupboard?

Are you only shooting wide open, so don't see the dust, or never change lenses?

Some of the places I shoot at (coastal wetlands or trails in the hills nearby) are very dry and dusty this time of the year.

I always keep my camera & lenses in a bag in a closet at home.

I change lenses a few times a week. I make sure the new lens is ready before I start changing lenses. If I am outside, I try to change lenses inside the car whenever possible. This sometimes means a short hike to the car and back. I try to hold the camera "face down" when mounting the new lens.

I did not have a "dust pump" type of lens until recently. I have started using the EF 100-400L a few months ago. Curiously, my first "dust" incident happened after that.

I do shoot wide-open most of time when using the 400 f/5.6L, but I do a lot of non-bird photography with other lenses (85 f/1.8, 17-85IS, 70-200 f/4L) which require stopping down.

Meant to post back here earlier and forgot. The Rocket Blowers arrived, and I've started giving the camera a quick shot when I change lenses or see a bit of dust on a picture. I've also taken Roy's adivice:
"When changing lens I always:
a) Power off
b) Get the new lens all ready
c) Make sure the Camera is pointing down
d) Change as quick as Possible"

Everything is going great. Even with the "dust sucking" 100-400 IS the camera is staying much cleaner.
Thanks to you all for the help.
Lisa

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back