• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (9 Viewers)

Matt well done for sticking your neck out on this and also to Sean and Dave for not slagging off. Love Surrey Birding.

Cheers Rich, I feel rather daft now but just something about the light/perspective I guess. In unrelated news I have just cleaned my bins and am going to try and make a point of wearing my glasses more often... ;-)

Matt

Sorry all i forgot to post that i have found Clouded Yellow Butterflie for the last two days .Path near Wheatear field. I m told by Lindsay that butterflie count stands at 24.
Rich

11 little egrets this evening

This is a record count for Tices Meadow record beating the previous best of nine.
Looking at 'Birds of Surrey' J.J.Wheatley the highest count was also 11 at Barnes Wetland Centre in 2005.

At present I can't any counts of more than 11 in Surrey.

Kevin

August migrant dates

Whinchat - most popular dates are between the 25th - 28th August with the earliest
date being 20th August.

Little Stint - 15th August (earliest date)

Sanderling - 15th August (earliest date)

Greenshank - 14th August (most popular day).

Ruff - 11th August (ealiest date)

Wheatear - 14th August (most popular day)

So next Wednesday and Thursday (14th-15th August) could produce something!!

Kevin

6am start on the mound today. It was a little quiet when I got there, then John Hunt turned up and things started to appear. 5 Green, 4 Common Sands, a Dunlin and LRP, both juvs,were on the islands. 4 Teal,2 Shoveler, at least 4 Gadwall. A Snipe circled and looked like landing but decided against it and flew off north. Then a Greenshank flew in but after a while a Lapwing took a dislike to it and chased it off. Around 10 Costa phoned to say my Cappuccino was ready so I headed off for a break:) 13:00 back on the mound. Everything was still the same so I took a wander along the path, when I got as far as the second gravel spit near the yard I found a Wood Sandpiper, so a quick phone call to Patch Commander who shot down on his bike and got it when he should have been getting ready for a wedding! You little Twitcher:) Eventually had excellent views of the Woody and it was still there when I left at 16:00. What an awesome day:)

The Wood Sand was still present early doors & showing well at the Eastern end of the workings. Also noted- the juv Dunlin, 5 Common & 3 Green Sands.

John.

Wood Sandpiper showing well today south west of main lake with 2 Common 5 Green sands about Little Greab 7, 1 with brocken leg Yellow Leg Gull plus those John and Dave got and to add we have 3 Chinese Geese arived . No you cant tick them .
Rich.

Up date today with Matt, Ewan and others am today on the mound. Wood Sandpiper still here 2 Dunlin, Yellow Legged Gull , 4 Green 3 Common min count 1 Peregrine , Buzzard , Kestrel, Sparrowhawk. 2 Gadwall and all the other you would expect. The 3 Chinese Geese are now 2 . Has Fox had 1 ?
Fingers crossed we may still be able to cut willow in Wheatear feild on Sat 24th thanks to Steve Bailey BVCP putting together H&S and also Simon Elson SCC for his support .So try if you can to keep morning free. I ll keep you all posted as soon as i know.

As Kev said things should start hotting up and so they have with 2 Black Wit Ring Plover LR Plover 2 Dunlin 7 Green 5 Common 1 Wood Sandpiper today.

Wood Sandpiper still Green and Common also 2 Dunlin 1 Hobby 1 Peregrine 1 YL Gull 1 L Egret . Clouded Yellow butterfly still around to Rich.

Quick visit in order to get the Wood Sand which was showing distantly. Good views of Ruff, Dunlin and Ringed Plover. The former was a surprise and welcome.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back