• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (5 Viewers)

In case anyone is wondering the night heron reported on birdguides refers to jubilee pool near Ryton and nothing to do with jubilee wetlands middleton lakes!

Just the 4 Blackwits this morning (no coloured rings). Also Greenshank, 2 Redshank and 3 LRP on JW and 3 possibly 4 Avocet on NP.

Small number of Siskin (<10) with Goldfinch feeding on wild flower strip between Mill Plantation and Fishers Mill Bridge.

Steve

Last edited:
No sign of the Turnstone or the Ruff 1st thing this morning before the rain started. But 2 Green Sandpiper on the Hall Lake; 3 Black-tailed Godwit, a Common Sandpiper, 3 Little Egret, 2 Grasshopper Warbler and quite a few Linnets and Ringed & Little Ringed Plover on Jubilee Wetlands.

All the best

Steve

The last three days have been depressing with the high water levels and the well grown weeds very few waders have been seen. The Avocets and Oystercatchers seem to have left, both species last seen on the 27th.
4 Dunlin flew through yesterday not finding anywhere to feed. but it was a raptor day with a Peregrine, 2 Hobby and 3 Kestrel.
Todays highlights were 4 LRP and 2 Common Sandpiper, water levels have dropped by nearly two feet since Monday but still not much mud showing, a Peregrine was eating a gull on the NP.
Geoff.

Last edited:
The last three days have been depressing with the high water levels and the well grown weeds very few waders have been seen. The Avocets and Oystercatchers seem to have left, both species last seen on the27th.
4 Dunlin flew through yesterday not finding anywhere to feed. but it was a raptor day with a Peregrine, 2 Hobby and 3 Kestrel.
Todays highlights were 4 LRP and 2 Common Sandpiper, water levels have dropped by nearly two feet since Monday but still not much mud showing, a Peregrine was eating a gull on the NP.
Geoff.
Hi Geoff
when did your avocet family leave. Last Friday two adults and two very fresh (brown) juvs appeared on the Flashes.

Hi Geoff
when did your avocet family leave. Last Friday two adults and two very fresh (brown) juvs appeared on the Flashes.
Hi John, I don't think they'll be our birds, as I said ours left on Monday the 27th and there were 3 (1 adult and 2 young).
If we don't get some mud for the waders soon then I may have to look in at UW for my fix, although I believe you haven't done much better?
Geoff

The Avocets and Oystercatchers seem to have left, both species last seen on the 27th....
Geoff.

There was a lone Oystercatcher flying around this afternoon.
Also a Hobby and at least 3 Little Egret on JWs/North Pit. 3 Green Sandpiper on Hall Lake.

I agree with you Geoff, its looking a bit depressing , far too much weed, high water levels and also quite a few Willows getting a bit large. I wonder if now everything has fledged the RSPB will do some work clearing the site?

All the best
Steve

There was a lone Oystercatcher flying around this afternoon.
Also a Hobby and at least 3 Little Egret on JWs/North Pit. 3 Green Sandpiper on Hall Lake.

I agree with you Geoff, its looking a bit depressing , far too much weed, high water levels and also quite a few Willows getting a bit large. I wonder if now everything has fledged the RSPB will do some work clearing the site?

All the best
Steve
Hi Steve, I did speak to Pam D of the RSPB today and asked about weed clearance, she seemed to think that it might be some time before strimming begins (a plough would be better).
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, it's a shame they can't lower the water levels on the new reed bed pool, that would really attract the waders in.
Geoff

Hi Steve, I did speak to Pam D of the RSPB today and asked about weed clearance, she seemed to think that it might be some time before strimming begins (a plough would be better).
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, it's a shame they can't lower the water levels on the new reed bed pool, that would really attract the waders in.
Geoff
That is a shame Geoff.

Water levels have dropped enough to allow some mud to show and the waders are returning, on the JWs were 7 Black-tailed Godwit and 6 Ringed Plover also seen were 2 LRP and 3 Green Sandpiper were on HL. 12 Common Tern were around.
Geoff.

Water levels have dropped enough to allow some mud to show and the waders are returning, on the JWs were 7 Black-tailed Godwit and 6 Ringed Plover also seen were 2 LRP and 3 Green Sandpiper were on HL. 12 Common Tern were around.
Geoff.

Was around the JW at about 17:30 and no sign of any of the above, except for the Terns

Early morning visit today. 3 Green Sandpiper still on the Hall Lake, a nice Juvenile Green Woodpecker with an adult in the car park, a Cetti's Warbler calling on the Silt Pool, 5 Dunlin and 4 Ringed Plover on JWs. There's a bit of an influx of Greylag Geese, I counted over 120 on the North Pit and JWs. Also 3 Little Egret around the site.
Steve

Early morning visit today. 3 Green Sandpiper still on the Hall Lake, a nice Juvenile Green Woodpecker with an adult in the car park, a Cetti's Warbler calling on the Silt Pool, 5 Dunlin and 4 Ringed Plover on JWs. There's a bit of an influx of Greylag Geese, I counted over 120 on the North Pit and JWs. Also 3 Little Egret around the site.
Steve
Just to add to todays list, I had a Black-tailed Godwit on JWs and a Ruff and a Snipe were reported.
93 bird species were seen in July.
Geoff

Afternoon visit today. 5 Dunlin and a Black-tailed Godwit still on JWs along with 2 Ringed Plover and a Snipe. I had a good view of a Kingfisher flying the length of the ditch alongside the path up to the North Pit on the west side. Also a hybrid Greylag/Canada goose on the river.
A birder told me that he and another birder had seen a Goshawk over JWs on the 2nd or 3rd July,he rang RSPB and reported it - don't know if you've included this on July's numbers Geoff?

Steve

Afternoon visit today. 5 Dunlin and a Black-tailed Godwit still on JWs along with 2 Ringed Plover and a Snipe. I had a good view of a Kingfisher flying the length of the ditch alongside the path up to the North Pit on the west side. Also a hybrid Greylag/Canada goose on the river.
A birder told me that he and another birder had seen a Goshawk over JWs on the 2nd or 3rd July,he rang RSPB and reported it - don't know if you've included this on July's numbers Geoff?

Steve
Hi Steve, No I hadn't heard about the Goshawk, some other birders and I also had one on the 15/5 but didn't put out the news in case it stayed around however we didn't see it again.
Geoff

A bit of an improvement tonight. As soon as I got to the West screen I flushed a duck which looked different and finally relocated it on the East screen pool and it is probably the Mandarin that appears around this time every year. There was then 3 Dunlin, 4 Little Egret, 3 Ringed Plover and a Single Blackwit on JW. I then moved round to the two benches on the East side where I initially thought I had picked up the 3 Dunlin seen earlier - but no black bibs. The more I studied them the more I was convinced they were Little Stint but they were distant and nothing around for size comparison. They had relatively short beaks, brown back and rufous head and neck. I just got the camera attached to the scope and they flew to the south of the JW division bank. I finally relocated them but now there were 4. I've attached a very poor picture which has all 4 birds in it. The red neck and head could suggest Sanderling but they weren't running round like headless chickens and moving quite slow picking at their food. Let's just hope they stay and an early Birder gets a positive ID.

Steve

Attachments

• Mystery.jpg
    Mystery.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 108
  • manda.jpg
    manda.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Note that the 3 birds on the left hand side of the picture have 2 priminent white stripes down their backs which is consistent with Autumn Little Stint.

A bit of an improvement tonight. As soon as I got to the West screen I flushed a duck which looked different and finally relocated it on the East screen pool and it is probably the Mandarin that appears around this time every year. There was then 3 Dunlin, 4 Little Egret, 3 Ringed Plover and a Single Blackwit on JW. I then moved round to the two benches on the East side where I initially thought I had picked up the 3 Dunlin seen earlier - but no black bibs. The more I studied them the more I was convinced they were Little Stint but they were distant and nothing around for size comparison. They had relatively short beaks, brown back and rufous head and neck. I just got the camera attached to the scope and they flew to the south of the JW division bank. I finally relocated them but now there were 4. I've attached a very poor picture which has all 4 birds in it. The red neck and head could suggest Sanderling but they weren't running round like headless chickens and moving quite slow picking at their food. Let's just hope they stay and an early Birder gets a positive ID.

Steve
Hi Steve, 3 Little Stint were reported today per RBA, 25th wader species for the year. Can't get to see them but I managed to relocate a Black Stork and saw an Osprey today in Lincs for compensation.
There are a number of Black Storks around at the moment so keep your eyes open.
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back