• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help me pick binoculars (1 Viewer)

ken6217

I am going this week to Utah and Arizona and wanted to buy binoculars before I leave. I borrowed a Swarovski 7x42 a couple of years ago and thought they were good.

Can anyone recommend something from either Swarovski or Zeiss as well as what model/power? If I go up in size from the 7x42, will I sacrifice brightness and also would I see shake from my hand?
What are the tradeoffs and benefits from using 7x42, 8x42, 8.5x42?
Money spend is secondary to getting the right model.

Thanks,
Ken

Ken,

Truth be told I think you could pick any of those configurations from any of those manufacturers and be entirely satisfied with your purchase. The difference between a 7x and an 8.5x among these models is fairly small optically (in the grand scheme of things).

To answer your questions, in general, yes, the more magnification the more the chance of seeing handshake in the image. That is dependent though on a variety of factors not the least of which being how steady your hand is as well as the weight of the bin. I doubt you would see much difference comparing the 8.5x42 EL with the 7x42 SLC. Either would be a fine choice as would the 8x42 or 7x42 FL and/or the 8x42 or 7x42 Ultravid HD. When you get to this price point optics aren't really the issue as they are all superb. It is more of an issue of ergonomics, focusing feel, etc...

I'm not going to attempt to steer you to any particular binocular here. At this level they are all good. First, you say you are leaving this week. That leaves little time to try before you buy. Second, you used the Swarovski 7x42 and liked it, I think that is where I would go. Just get another one and be done with it. Now, if you take reasonable care of it, perhaps you would still be able to exchange for a different one after you get back. Depending of course on the return/exchange policy of the dealer.

If I go up in size from the 7x42, will I sacrifice brightness and also would I see shake from my hand?

In daytime use, not much loss. However, 7x users are very happy often. Compared to us 10x and 8x guys, they do a lot less focusing. I heard tell of a young guy with young eyes never focusing at 7x, he just left it there at a medium distance and used it as such.

In daytime use, not much loss. However, 7x users are very happy often. Compared to us 10x and 8x guys, they do a lot less focusing. I heard tell of a young guy with young eyes never focusing at 7x, he just left it there at a medium distance and used it as such.

Yes, the 7x models are so easy to use. Great depth of field, bright, and a wide field of view. Just put them up to your face and observe. I'm a huge fan of the 7x42 Zeiss FL's. Lighter weight and better than the SLC's in regards to close focus. If you're going to Arizona, close focus is a nice feature to have. Lots of hummingbirds, butterflies, and other bugs to look at which can be well within 10 feet.
The 7x42 Ultravid HD's are also a nice choice, but not quite the same F.O.V as the Zeiss FL's.

Ben

Ben Lizdas
Sales Manager
Eagle Optics
www.eagleoptics.com

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back