• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 15x60 BGAT (1 Viewer)

bird33

Long time lurker and recent new member to the bird forum. Had a question on the Zeiss 15x60 BGAT lucked upon some of these for almost nothing. What are your thoughts compared to say the Swarovski or Leica 15x56 have not had a chance to compare them side by side. Also what are they worth these days.

I think Omid on here has one. So how many is some of these?;) Welcome to BirdForum!! BTW I was going to offer you $300 for one.;) Just kidding of course.
Regards,Steve

... lucked upon some of these for almost nothing. What are your thoughts compared to say the Swarovski or Leica 15x56 have not had a chance to compare them side by side. Also what are they worth these days.

Hello Bird33,

In as new condition, it is worth rather more than $US2,000. I cannot write from experience about the Leica or about Swarovski but in theory, the Zeiss, as a Porro binocular, should be better, in Field of View and in light transmission.

Good find,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hi Bird33,
You are getting a rare bargain.
This glass is not waterproof, which I believe the big Leica and Swaro are. However, as Pinewood notes, these binocs are optically superior. They get excellent reviews on astronomy and hunter sites.
Birders rarely use them because they are too powerful for easy hand held viewing, as well as bulky and heavy. Seawatchers however love them, although few can afford them.
If you plan to carry them into the field, a harness is strongly advisable. Zeiss sold them with a narrow leather strap that was painfully inadequate.

Hi Bird33,
You are getting a rare bargain...

If you plan to carry them into the field, a harness is strongly advisable. Zeiss sold them with a narrow leather strap that was painfully inadequate.

Hello Etudiant,

I find that this binocular is useful, only when mounted on a tripod.

I never use it for bird watching but it is marvelous for astronomy. In clear winter skies, the view of myriad stars, as in the Orion's belt and sword, is inspiring.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Bird33 - I have friends with the Leica and Swarovski 15x56 binoculars and have looked through them many times. They are excellent glasses. But they differ both in construction and optical quality compared to the Zeiss 15x60 BGAT - the roof versus porro prism thing. I've yet to see any other 15 power binocular superior to the Zeiss for certain kinds of uses.

The Zeiss is what I call a pickup glass, i.e., a binocular to ride along your side in a pickup or car. The strap that came with mine is an ergonomically designed leather strap that is contoured to go around your neck and shoulders and distribute weight. But even with that the Zeiss is too heavy to carry around for lenghy periods of time.

By specialty use I mean used for quick looks from vehicles, sitting down with elbows resting on the knees, picking up from a bench rest for a quick review of the target, etc. or using an adapter on a tripod for rock steady viewing.

Also, a user's body build and hand size can make using the Zeiss comfortable or awkward. I have extra large hands and shoulder and arm mass and find using the Zeiss very comfortable for short periods of time. The eye relief is perfect for my eye glasses, and with a 4 mm pupil, it does very well in dusk and early morning.

It is really a specialty kind of binocular, not for everyone to be sure, but it really delivers a superb view.

Why they discontinued making them is anyone's guess. My hunch is that they became vey expensive to produce, and Zeiss felt the market just wasn't there. I know you will enjoy yours.

John

In low light the 15X60 can get you some minutes of use more than the Swaros. And these minutes more are very interesting, speally refered to mammals. I've been interested in the big Zeiss for some time, I'd consider to buy ones in good condition. There's no candidate for its space now. If Nikon decide to built a 15X60 SE I'll be among the first custumers. And about the ergonomy of the Zeiss, the unnusual situation of the focusing wheel is a point. They feel lighter than the Swaros.

Fernando

Bird33 -
Why they discontinued making them is anyone's guess. My hunch is that they became vey expensive to produce, and Zeiss felt the market just wasn't there. I know you will enjoy yours.

John

Hello John,

The design, and the quality of workmanship and of materials used in the 15x60 BGAT put this binocular in a very special class, indeed. This binocular is one of the few, which I like to refer to as an "instrument." I refer to lesser binoculars as "tools."

I do not think that we will see many of this type, in the future.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Hello Arthur - I concur with your opinions. Perhaps there has been an historical accident, i.e., referring to the optical scientists at Zeiss as a passing of the guard.
The Germans have always excelled in making better mouse traps, my slang for gadgetry.
Maybe the porro faction fell out of favor over the years. Maybe the need to make something just a little bit more complicated, although not necessarily better drives their marketing decisions.

I do know that the precision in the Zeiss porro binoculars as shown in their 8x30B models
of the 1960s is a thing of beauty. I have "torn" into a few of these over the years and still come away amazed. Perhaps what we are witnessing is the end of the post war optical craftsman at Zeiss.

By the way, my home is situated in central Montana overlooking the North Fork of the
Smith River. In a pond with a small island along side the river, several geese have returned each year to raise some goslings. This pond is within a hundred yards of my bay window, and with my Pentax 80 MM spotting scope we have been watching the entire nesting process. Ten days ago a late spring snow storm buried the geese with three feet of snow. The geese stayed in their nests until the snow melted. Today they paraded four goslings between them. Utterly amazing to watch this cycle of life.
Take care.
John

Hello John,

You are very fortunate to have such a view and to enjoy such wonderful sights. What kind of geese are they?

The economics are simple. If you can convince someone that he needs the advantages of a roof glass, he then pays substantially more for each unit sold, with a higher profit for each sale.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Hi John, I have Canada Geese feeding in my grown up field, it is funny all you can see is their necks sticking up when walking. It is very wet this time of year in that part of my field.
Regards,Steve

Hi John,

I agree with you about the craftmanship of these Porros. But there is, still made, a Porro made like that Zeiss. If not better. The Swarovski Habicht Porro. I have had 5 of them, from the first I got in 1981, used and made around 1970, to the last one rubber covered. This one, my only now, made in 2008, a 10x40 W GA, is an outstanding binocular with today optics, much better than my old ones (in the natural colours and contrast, not in resolution...!). Almost in par with my 10x42 Zeiss Victory FL. Not a minor statment...!

Regards

PHA

PHA - Having had all the Habicht porros, they are indeed on the par with Zeiss in terms of construction and optics. If only they made a WA 7x42. My favorite Habicht is the 8x30 WA, very light and wonderful resolution and colors. Swarovski did some coatings to enhance spotting game animals in years past. I'm not sure that some hunters really appreciated what Swarovski did. It appears that Swarovski is still catering to traditional binocular users. With the Zeiss 15 x 60 BGA now history, only the 7 x 50 BGA remains in their stable. I believe Arthur Piinewood's above comments on binocular economics sums it up well. John

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back