• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Devonian Goes To Yorkshire! (Old Moor) (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
30-11-03

Whilst visiting a friend in Sheffield we spent our last day at Old Moor near Rotherham. Attending to the young kid and a minor map printing problem delayed our arrival. In the car park we met up with James and Diane (aka Digi-birder) & Keith who offered to show us around. One of the volunteers present was another BF member, Trev.

My main aim was to see my first Tree Sparrows. It could not have been any easier as there were at least a hundred Eurasian Tree Sparrows in the hedge between the car park and the reserve entrance. Their heads lead me to think of them being a finer bird to look at than their commoner cousins, the House Sparrow, but I could not see anything to inhibit me from thinking it's only just a Sparrow. The weather was not sunny enough to do the males' chestnut crowns justice. It was good to finally tick this bird after a couple of attempts earlier this year and the RSPB have done a good job of providing a good guardianship for this troubled bird.

There was some improvement work going on and we passed though a porta-kabin shop on our way to the first hide, the Mere Hide. Here the list got to a good start with plenty of birds showing on the water and along the banks. The wildfowl present included good counts of Eurasian Teal, Eurasian Wigeon, several Eurasian Coots, low numbers of Gadwall, Mute Swans, some Tufted Ducks, a few Common Moorhen, three splendid Common Pochards, just two Ruddy Ducks, at least one Northern Shoveler, a few Canada Geese and several Mallards. The stars on the water were undoubtedly the four or five Goosanders. I believe the numbers increase during the evening roost. A single Little Grebe was a wonderful sight on the far side of a pond. There were a few of 100+ Northern Lapwings. I mentioned my amazement at the number of Stock Doves littering the banks of the ponds since I see them regularly in Devon albeit in single figures. There were at least thirty five on one pond. I scanned the Black-headed Gulls and Herring Gulls for any gems and only managed one Common Gull. James called everyone to enquire the possibility of a Little Owl on a distant telegraph pole. It was so distant none of us could be sure until it flew off and revealed itself to be a Common Kestrel. It was a pity as if it had been so then it would have been bird number two hundred and sixteen for me!

The walk to the next hide revealed only a few birds but there was one superstar in the sky, an Eurasian Sparrowhawk. The size of it lead me to assume it as a female. Approaching the second hide, I was lifted by the words above the door, Wader Scrape Hide. I entered expecting to see a glut of waders but that was not the case. Careful scanning of the trees earned good views of a departing flock of Fieldfares. I was convinced I had seen some birds with crests on their heads and asked if there were any sort of escaped birds breeding here. In the end I concluded that it must have been my imagination! Could they have been Waxwings? I will never know now. Diane pointed out 2 Common Snipe resting out in the open on a bed of twigs and a single Grey Heron was visible on the far end of the left pond. One of a few Common Redshanks was seen on a distant pond from here.

Moving onto the next hide of which the name escapes me, was good for a few more additions to the list. Keith's sharp eyes picked out a Common Sandpiper. The poor light and the distance of the bird had us discussing it's identity for a while. The majority of the Lapwings were on show from this hide and there was just about 30+ European Golden Plover on the muddy banks. Not quite the thousands I had been reading about, these numbers are visible in the evening roost. Back at the entrance we duly posed for the lavatory group photo. I watched the Tree Sparrows again. The backing cast for this morning's walk were Great Cormorant, Common Starling, Western Jackdaw, Dunnock, Carrion Crow, Pied Wagtail, Rook, Common Magpie, Common Pheasant, European Greenfinch and Great Tit. Gordon and I left as his girlfriend had cooked us a delightful Yorkshire Sunday roast. Diane, Keith and James made me envious by heading over to Potteric Carr to see a few birds. I had a great morning's light birding session with good company.

I will let Diane tell you what they saw at Potteric Carr......

Last edited:
Been looking forward to this report, Andrew, as I knew you were coming up. Had it been any other weekend, I would have joined you, but as luck would have it, your visit fell on partnyorsha's birthday... so she got first dibs on the day!

I'm pleased you had a pleasant morning's birding oop noorth - I've been to Old Moor a few times recently, although I must confess I've never stayed as long as it deserves, for one reason or another.

So what's with the Western Jackdaw then? Sub-sub-sub-species? Or are they messing with the name again!

Next time you're up, we'll try and get together at Potteric Carr.

:t:

Andrew: another interesting report as always.

birdman said:
So what's with the Western Jackdaw then? Sub-sub-sub-species? Or are they messing with the name again!
It's the name in the Collins Guide, although Eurasian Jackdaw seems to be more common usage.

Birdman,

Western Jackdaw is the proper name for our common Jackdaw. Well, it was last time I looked. Look forward to meeting you if I come up again.

(Well, whaddya know! Just looked at the BOU list names and it is indeed Eurasian Jackdaw! Dang, gotta update my lists now. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.)

Last edited:
Andrew

Nice write-up as always!

Sadly the second site was the better bet. Long and clear sightings of two individual Bitterns in the open and one Water Rail wandering about made it worth the long walk (long for me anyway!).

My thanks also to Keith and Diane for once again being excellent hosts.

James

Great report for the day, Andrew.

I wrote a list out when we returned home and managed 35 species, so I will have to double-check it to see which ones I missed out.

The photo will be posted for all to see later tonight, as it is on my home computer.

As Andrew says, the reserve is in the process of being upgraded at the moment, but we were told by one of the wardens that the new refreshment facilities will be opened by February 2004 and the remainder of the building upgrades by May.

The name of the furthest hide we went in is Wath Ings, I think.

Diane - so it'll have a food when I get there, how kind of them !!

Andrew - you may get Smew at Lee Valley, they're certainly found at Amwell in winter, 10 miles up the road. Apparently there is one there so far. My offer stands btw.

Just checked the Old Moor list and you definitely have some on there that I didn't get, but I have some that you haven't listed (Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove and Redshank) making the total 41.

The extras we saw at Potteric Carr were:
Great Bittern
Water Rail
Long-tailed Tit
Willow Tit
Coal Tit
Blue Tit
Redwing
Common Chaffinch
European Robin
Greylag Goose
Eurasian Jay
Common Blackbird

Here is the photo, traditionally taken in front of the toilets. As you can see at the top of the gentlemens' portacabin, it says 'Andrews accommodation'. Quite fitting!

Hope this works - it's the first time I've used the upload feature since the upgrade.

Left to right:
Keith (mr digi-birder), James, Andrew, Gordon (Andrew's friend).

Attachments

• Oldmoor.jpg
    Oldmoor.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 111
Thanks for reminding about the Redshanks! How did I forget them, it is in my notebook!? I have now edited the original text.

That is a grand picture. Is a makeshift lav only good enough for me to sleep in?:eek!:

Excellent report Andrew. I must have missed your earlier posting as I would have had a trip down there myself to meet up.

Still it sounds as if you have had a very good visit 'Oop North' :t:

Last edited:
It would have been good to have another member there. It was a good trip really as I had a mix of birding and meeting up with a school friend.

Ian, I'm so sorry. I never thought to promote it too far and wide, as it wasn't meant to be an official 'bash' or anything. Andrew just said he was coming up and wanted to see Old Moor. It never occurred to me that you would want to come all this way down.

We won't forget next time!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back