• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Victory SF !!!!!! (3 Viewers)

You're not far wrong Lee - although Marvin-like despondency is not yet necessary as there are other options . . .

However, this price and the need to wait and/or travel to get them basically ruled out the SF's for me as my current 10x42 BN Trinovids have a focusing problem and will take months to fix, and I need a replacement ...

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike

If you can take the time off from your intergalactic cruise, you could take a look at Conquest HDs which are great performers at good prices.

Lee

Thanks Lee

One question - why the Conquest and not the Victory FL or HT - with apologies of there's a 15 page thread explaining the difference.

Cheers
Mike

Thanks Lee

One question - why the Conquest and not the Victory FL or HT - with apologies of there's a 15 page thread explaining the difference.

Cheers
Mike

You did answer it by yourself here :

However, this price and the need to wait and/or travel to get them basically ruled out the SF's for me as my current 10x42 BN Trinovids have a focusing problem and will take months to fix, and I need a replacement ...

Cheers
Mike

well no.

to recap . . .

1. The current Victory HT/FL are available in HK at a reasonable price
  2. The Conquest HD are available in HK at a reasonable price
  3. The yet-to-be-delivered SFs (which have not yet arrived here) are way over-priced at HK$29,000

so . . . since I am looking for for a new pair of alphas and am happy to pay a reasonable price . . . why would I consider the Conquest over the VictoryHT/FL?

Cheers
Mike

well no.

to recap . . .

1. The current Victory HT/FL are available in HK at a reasonable price
  2. The Conquest HD are available in HK at a reasonable price
  3. The yet-to-be-delivered SFs (which have not yet arrived here) are way over-priced at HK$29,000

so . . . since I am looking for for a new pair of alphas and am happy to pay a reasonable price . . . why would I consider the Conquest over the VictoryHT/FL?

Cheers
Mike

Mike

I assumed these new bins would be 'stand-ins' until your bins are repaired and then become your 'stand-by' pair ie not top of the line alphas.

I have had a pair of HTs for a year and a half now and have just got back from using them more or less non-stop for 4 weeks in the west of Scotland. To my eyes they are a definite step forward from FL not only in optics but in handling. During this last holiday I have fallen in love with them all over again so have no hesitation in recommending them.

There are, of course, other fine bins out there but I will it to others to tell you about those.

Once again, I have to say I don't believe those HK prices will persist for long as in other markets it seems clear Zeiss want to be competitive with Swaros EL SV although not necessarily cheaper.

My last word? HTs are fantastic :king:

Lee

Cheers
Mike

Because of your writing in the other post .
In the way you did write it -all readers think that you only want a cheap good one and not an alpha . :t:

Last edited:
Many thanks for the clarification and the thumbs up for the HTs Lee - even if your month in Scotland is creating new waves of envy in the diodes all down my left side.

To clarify on my side . . . my Trinovids are heavy and were repaired only three years ago. But since:
  • they now need more work done,
  • the are not getting any lighter,
  • Leica's service here in HK over the years has been variable,
  • the Ultravids performed so poorly in the Allbinos toughness test

. . . I'm looking wider than simply going for the Ultravids.

I have never felt that "love at first sight" attraction for the ELs that many Swaro users swear by, and I like the handling and optical performance of the Zeiss, hence my interest in exploring a bit deeper with the top-end Zeiss options.

I expect the prices of the SFs here will come down - but maybe not that far - the shop I asked at is probably the most expensive in HK and this town can have a very strange notion of what constitutes value.

Cheers
Mike

Mike, the production of SF's looks to be limited in the early (prototype, pre-production, pilot runs), and so supply will be limited initially, meaning no great movement down in prices to start with. Then of course there is the quality lottery of when higher, more automated production kicks in (Just witness |8.| the x54mm HT debacle :scribe: of which we have still heard |:x| nothing of substance! (o)<), so it may pay (in lots of ways!) to wait quite a while until the dust settles to make sure Zeiss gets it right this time ........ :cat:

If the x42mmHT comes under your definition of "reasonable cost", and your need is immediate, then yes, it seems a ready made solution should your eyes agree! :king:

Chosun :gh:

Many thanks Chosun - and apologies to all for any confusion caused by only telling half the story.

Interestingly the expected price of SFs in the US quoted by Mike Jensen (US$2700) is in line with the current prices of other alphas in HK.

If my knackered old B&L Elites can get me through a couple of months (August in HK is hardly a birding extravaganza - heat humidity, mosquitoes and no birds) I may have a destination for my next trip overseas . . .

Cheers
Mike

Many thanks Gijs

Hopefully allbinos just had a freak situation with two poor units. I have to admit I was surprised.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Lee,

Any truth to the "rumours" ;) that the SF will also be doing a 45mm line with A-K prisms with "not quite but nearly 95% light transmission", a faster focuser, and an altogether more sensible price? ..... 8-P
Zeiss SF 11x45_spyshot.jpg

Last edited:
Lee,

Any truth to the "rumours" ;) that the SF will also be doing a 45mm line with A-K prisms with "not quite but nearly 95% light transmission", a faster focuser, and an altogether more sensible price? ..... 8-P
View attachment 507983

LOL, thats the first time I have seen a binocular with child-bearing hips!

Perhaps Zeiss is performing a stealth marketing stunt to test the market reaction to an unusual spec and a whole lotta bling.

All they need now is a nice short and snappy name for it like Turbo-Apo iBin Pro HD!

Lee

LOL, thats the first time I have seen a binocular with child-bearing hips!

Perhaps Zeiss is performing a stealth marketing stunt to test the market reaction to an unusual spec and a whole lotta bling.

All they need now is a nice short and snappy name for it like Turbo-Apo iBin Pro HD!

Lee
The image was done on the Maven website and pawned off on BF. Total nonsense.

The image was done on the Maven website and pawned off on BF. Total nonsense.
Hey Pilly! I thought I did a pretty good job considering the constraints laid down! (It's not like the US is the epitome of style or anything :) it's quite possible to spend $200 customizing the trim colour of your Maven to questionable personal taste .... it struck me though that one of the no cost body armour options was the same Grey rubber of the SF that did little to float Jan's boat ..... 3:)
.... and it was hardly a secret if you followed the "rumour" link ;)

If Zeiss won't make me my 70 degree carbon fibre sandwich Porro II 9x50 HT then at least I can get pretty close and for 30 bucks I can have whatever I want engraved on it!! :cat:

Last edited:
Smart Focus

CJ

Noticed these remarks in one of the SF write-ups from one of the folks who attended the European SF-fest:

My blackbird had been singing in a tree obscured by branches. But the moment I caught a glimpse, I got it in focus with barely a movement of the focusing wheel. The so-called "Smart Focus" lived up to the promise. Switching views from storks on distant chimney nests to nearby songbirds was so quick and easy that the focusing contributed to my sensation that these binoculars were an extension of my eyes.​

Sounds hopeful don't you think?

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back