• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser White-fronted Goose x Barnacle Goose hybrid (1 Viewer)

Looks like one to me although I haven't seen a such bird yet that I knew was a certainty. I'll wait for joern to comment on this but for now, I'd say it's one.

We had a presumed hybrid BG x LWF at Conwy RSPB reserve, originally with a LWF. They were presumed to come from the Swedish reintroduction scheme. The hybrid looked quite different to this bird though.

Looks like one to me although I haven't seen a such bird yet that I knew was a certainty. I'll wait for joern to comment on this but for now, I'd say it's one.

Hi Gentoo,
I´d say so too...

However, from what I have seen so far I think this combination can be quite variable -
so , jogresh - your bird may well have been the same combination even if it differed in several respects.

Cheers, Jörn

Hannu, I think that one from your link above and this one :

http://users.utu.fi/hlehto/photo/hybrid/aalbxbleu1.shtml

are Barnacle goose x Snow goose.

The amount of white and the grin patch (though not very strong) and the similarity with some Norwegian and Dutch hybrids, which in two cases (one in Netherlands, on ein Norway) were raised by a Barnacle and a snow goose together, lets me think that.

Anyone in/visiting Devon who's interested: come to Dawlish and see our very own LW/Barnacle.
I don't do photos so come and see for yourselves.
Several years old.
Guess it's male, and has become famous for adopting duck broods: strange headlines in local papers including 'geeks' ...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back