• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cedar waxwings (1 Viewer)

Hi,
I have taken a picture of a cedar waxwing. I'm pretty sure that is what it is but I didn't see the red on the tips of its wings. It has the yellow on the tip of his tail though. It is January and its winter here in Mississippi. I have attached 2 pictures. One is of its entire body the other is of his neck down.
Please tell me why I don't see the red. It may even be hid behind the tree, I don't know. Please reply.

Attachments

• GEDC1895.jpg
    GEDC1895.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 100
  • GEDC1896.jpg
    GEDC1896.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 73
The 'waxy' tips would show in both your photos but I think it's a juv / 1st year bird which lacks them. They don't develop until the birds are adult. In a few cases females also lack them.

Chris

Hi,
I have taken a picture of a cedar waxwing. I'm pretty sure that is what it is but I didn't see the red on the tips of its wings. It has the yellow on the tip of his tail though. It is January and its winter here in Mississippi. I have attached 2 pictures. One is of its entire body the other is of his neck down.
Please tell me why I don't see the red. It may even be hid behind the tree, I don't know. Please reply.

Adult http://www.flickr.com/photos/ggwildlife/5375794251/
1st winter http://www.flickr.com/photos/ggwildlife/5448232288/

hope that helps

Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back