• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild birds draining hummingbird feeders (1 Viewer)

im_trisha

Hello all,

My name is Trisha, and I live in San Jose, California. I've enjoyed having hummingbird feeders in my yard for a long time. This year though, I have some wild birds that are drinking from them as well. I have been told they are wild canaries...bright yellow and very beautiful. The problem is, they are draining my feeders and Im having to refill them every other day, sometimes more often. I love having them and they don't seem to scare the hummers away. But my question is, is there something I can hang to attract them so they don't eat all the hummingbird nectar? I only have 2 feeders, and they seem to be drinking most of what I put out. I don't want my hummers to go hungry.

Well, you might think about putting out some fruit on a tray to see if they might go for that - citrus or bananas, perhaps. I wouldn't have thought that canaries would be interested in sugar water, but since they are, perhaps the fruit will entice them. Otherwise, you may need to get more/bigger feeders, and be happy to have more action around you! Jim

Hello all,

My name is Trisha, and I live in San Jose, California. I've enjoyed having hummingbird feeders in my yard for a long time. This year though, I have some wild birds that are drinking from them as well. I have been told they are wild canaries...bright yellow and very beautiful. The problem is, they are draining my feeders and Im having to refill them every other day, sometimes more often. I love having them and they don't seem to scare the hummers away. But my question is, is there something I can hang to attract them so they don't eat all the hummingbird nectar? I only have 2 feeders, and they seem to be drinking most of what I put out. I don't want my hummers to go hungry.

Cole's Blue Ribbon Blend is a good blend and canary seed. This should keep them from feeding on the hummingbird nectar. :eat:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back