• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cleaning ZR ED's (1 Viewer)

rjwims

Certified newbie
Hoping that they do not spontaneously combust, what do recommed to clean the ED glass and eyepieces on these bins?

I've searched and found water, soap, breath on them, windex?, etc. but I really don't want to mess them up.

It seems that I have a few spots (probably water from a small rain shower) on the eyepieces...haven't had to clean them until now.

Is rubbing alcohol compatible?

Or lens cleaning pen?

Thanks

Richard

Last edited:
A little water is best. Look at result. If still dirty:

You can buy that little pump cleaner for eye glasses. Use sparingly. I have wiped the coatings off my eye glasses.

Hoping that they do not spontaneously combust, what do recommed to clean the ED glass and eyepieces on these bins?

I've searched and found water, soap, breath on them, windex?, etc. but I really don't want to mess them up.

It seems that I have a few spots (probably water from a small rain shower) on the eyepieces...haven't had to clean them until now.

Is rubbing alcohol compatible?

Or lens cleaning pen?

Thanks

Richard

Make SURE there is no grit or dust on them (Blow them OFF!). Then breathe on them and use a lens cleaning pen. Make SURE there is no grit on the lens cleaning pen either. If that doesn't work buy some of those lens cleaning tissues for optics and binoculars. Zeiss and Nikon make them. They have Isopropanol on them which is the same as rubbing alcohol(Isopropyl). Don't use Windex on them as often times normal glass cleaners have ammonia in them which damage the lenses on binoculars. The Zeiss lens cleaning tissues also have no wood products in them which will scratch your lenses. Do NOT be tempted to use tissue or paper towel on them. They have wood products in them and eventually will scratch your lenses!(especially paper towel). Progress from the lightest cleaning method(lens pen) to the heavier method(Zeiss Lens tissues). The little cloth that comes with your Zen Rays should work also these usually being some type of microfiber material which will not scratch. Also, if you can get Kimwipes they will work good also because they are deisigned not to scratch glass and optics. Again breathe on your lenses and gently rub with the cloth. Make sure there is no grit on the cloth that will scratch your lenses. Be careful.

Dennis

Dennis

Last edited:
My ZENS did NOT come with a pen, only a small cloth.

I won't attempt to clean the objectives till I get a brush or pen and what looks like a little squeeze type air blower.

I couldn't see anything on the objectives, but there were small spots on the eye pieces, which I carefuly removed with the cloth.

After I started this thread, I searched the net and there seems to be much confusion as to what to use and what not to use.

Is there a recommended kit online somewhere ?

Thanks

Richard

Last edited:
Richard,

On other bins I have used both the Zeiss and the Vortex lens cleaning kits with good success.

This thread is timely though. I just cleaned my Zen EDs for the first time this past Friday evening. I had some small moisture spots on both the objectives and the eyepieces so I thought...what the heck. I used the Zeiss cleaning kit mentioned above. First I blew off any dust/grit that may have been on the lenses. Then I proceeded to use one of the pre-moistened wipes.....but after utilizing them I ended up with some annoying streaks on the objectives. I went back and just breathed on them and cleaned them with a microfiber cloth. It took the smudges right off and they look perfectly clean now.

...as always, when all else fails go with as basic an approach as possible.

;)

Frank I have found with the Zeiss wipes I had to keep using it until dry quite a bit. I usually use one very lightly on the lens[after blowing off etc.] and then use the next one until dry.
Regards,Steve

I don't know how to tell whether a lens cleaning pen has picked up grit, so I stay away from them. I clean binos the same way as camera lenses, and as far as I know, have never damaged a lens in cleaning it. The procedure I use is modified from Nikon's recommendations years ago.

1. blow off crud w/large blower bulb alternting with gentle sweeping in corners etc w/soft brush
2. sop lens w/ very wet cotton ball (distilled water) -- careful if the bino is not waterproof
3. dry with clean cotton ball
4. see if good enough--if not, sop w/cotton ball wetted w/isopropanol or Zeiss fluid or other lens fluid. I've used lens fluids in the past that include ammonia and although I've often seen it claimed that ammonia is bad, I've never seen documentation or seen the claim affirmed by an authoritative source (e.g. a lens manufacturer)--in fact, from what I remember, authorities dispute/refute the claim.
5. sop w/ a bit of distilled water on cotton to lift any soaps in the cleaning fluid
6. dry with clean cotton ball

If something horrendous is on the lens, or I'm really trying to impress myself and have nothing better to do, I'll clean with ROR (V-vax products) following their directions. I do this very very very rarely (like once every couple years at most).

--AP

Last edited:
Wile my short term problem is solved, I need to find a cleaning kit locally (preferably)

Seems like in all things, a little common sense goes a long way.

Richard

Last edited:
Here is another discussion about lens cleaning.

http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=124822

I am less disciplined when it comes to lens cleaning. I will use it, use it, until one day, it is embarassing to see how dirty or smudgy the lens has become. But blowing off the loose particles before wiping it clean is a must. I learnt it hard way with my camera lens. Now, all my camera lenses have a UV filter, which is more for protection. Maybe binoculars makers should offer the same features, at least for the high quality glasses, like the Zens, swaros. don't know how much image quality will degrade from the UV filter.

Here is another discussion about lens cleaning.

http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=124822

I am less disciplined when it comes to lens cleaning. I will use it, use it, until one day, it is embarassing to see how dirty or smudgy the lens has become. But blowing off the loose particles before wiping it clean is a must. I learnt it hard way with my camera lens. Now, all my camera lenses have a UV filter, which is more for protection. Maybe binoculars makers should offer the same features, at least for the high quality glasses, like the Zens, swaros. don't know how much image quality will degrade from the UV filter.

I believe that searching and reading that thread is part of what prompted me to start this one...:-O

First of all: don't. Those spots probably aren't doing much for dimming the image. You probably should need to clean bins unless they're rather dirty.

With waterproof bins I find soap and water works very well (especially if there are any sap spots).

I find the cheap hypoallergenic soaps works well (no extra additives to smear on the lens).

I've written up the details in other thread (so a search for the details). But it's blow off grit. Rinse/dissolve salt. Warm water and soap on a clean fingertip. Rinse with water. Shake off. Dab off spots with the edge of a tissue. Looks like new.

One of the wins of a waterproof bin. I think the older cleaning practises are based around not having waterproof optics (either a bin or a microscope EP).

First of all: don't. Those spots probably aren't doing much for dimming the image. You probably should need to clean bins unless they're rather dirty.

I completely agree. No matter it is EL, ZEN or other glasses I have, I normally don't touch the lens until they are really dirty. It may look ugly with those debris on the lens. But when I use them and I cannot see those at all. I don't think it affects the viewing that much either.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back